Rain cover for Epic on jib

Hey everyone,

Got called in for a two day job yesterday afternoon. I have my epic on a jib, completely stripeed down, 18-85 red zoom, and basically right in the middle of 2-3 water towers, it's constantly getting rained on (hard) at a very close range.

Any ideas for bagging? Production won't/can't get a real rain jacket for it. I made due with some visqueen today, and then a trash bag towards the end of the day, The trash bag wouldn't be so bad, but our Redmote is finicky and I need to get to the back of the camera often, also, no microforce, so if I need to change focal lengths, I have to rip open the bag to change it.

Any suggestions?

cheers

Having the camera in these types of situations sucks, and wearing rain protection generally always sucks. Luckily, since it's stripped down you won't have to worry about having holes for an EVF or on board monitor. I suggest getting a clear shower curtain and making a rain cover out of that. Use some velcro to hold the seams together, that way you can just strip the velcro apart and get to the spots that you need to access. Of course, you'll want to make sure the seams are not oriented so that they would leak onto the camera. I would drape the curtain over the top and cut it to length, leaving the bottom open, and each end- for the lens, and access to the back of the camera. I would then use velcro to close the back of the camera, and on the lens end, use velcro to hold the curtain around the matte box. If you wanted, you could velcro the bottom too so that you completely encase the camera. Anyhow, it's not rocket science, but it's cheap and effective. Make sure you get the thickest CLEAR shower curtain that you can find.

Also, keep a diaper handy to dry off any drips that might fall onto the camera when you're getting in and out of the bag. Also, pay attention to heat issues associated with having the camera in a bag, it might be a good idea to turn the fans up to help keep the camera cool- I assume sound won't be an issue since there are rain towers involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Patrick!

I wound up doing pretty much this exact thing. Instead of a shower curtain though, I wound up using a cut up Baggit.

Ran into some clearance issues, there was no matte box for the rig, and we had a Bartech on it, so I had to make it 'baggy' enough on the front end to let the gear spin, which was tough because I had to seal around the barrel itself. I think I also had too many seams in an effort to make it more 'form fitted', next time (hopefully there will be real rain gear, though) I'll just make it less tight around the camera, and only have seams at the bottom and back.

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Gotta at least convince these jerks to spring for a clip on matte box, that's a bummer. But yeah, if you have time in prep, it's nice to create a custom rain cover at of some bag-it, and create some access points that open/close with velcro or something.

The prefabbed rain covers, no matter what camera, never work out because they're not made for every situation. Bag-it, good stuff

I would let them know that they need a good insurance if they refuse to use a rain coat and WILL have to pay for damages to the camera in case of leak and other water damage to the tools.

Next day, they'll tell you to get a rain coat.