arri iib/iic/2b/2c differences

Nguyen D. Nguyen

As a user of both (and once-proud-owner) the only difference i noted was the viewfinder, which is much better on the 2C; it has a more standard arri threaded eyepiece, allowing a periscope finder, etc. The 2B just had a tube VF which you couldn't really add anything to or swap out. The doors may be slightly different also, I'm not sure if you could swap a 2B door with that of a 2C.

Functionally, they both are about the same camera.

As a user of both (and once-proud-owner) the only difference i noted was the viewfinder, which is much better on the 2C; it has a more standard arri threaded eyepiece, allowing a periscope finder, etc. The 2B just had a tube VF which you couldn't really add anything to or swap out. The doors may be slightly different also, I'm not sure if you could swap a 2B door with that of a 2C.

Functionally, they both are about the same camera.

Is there no other differences in noise, motors, etc. anything else? I went to visual products, and they were selling a iib and iic package, but the difference between them was around 1000... seems hard to believe when it's just a rotatable viewfinder difference.

I'm not aware of any significant differences in the "guts" of the cameras. Motors and mags are all interchangeable, AFAIK. But take into consideration that most 2Cs are going to be a bit younger, and probably better condition than their much older 2A or 2B forebears.

And the viewfinder upgrade to the 2c is no small thing either, it makes it much easier to use (especially with the periscope finder) and more flexible. I never did side-by-side comparisons, but the 2C's finder always seemed much brighter to me as well.

That's gotta be worth a few more bucks!

Guest Bruce Frye

Some of the older 2B cameras had "circular" puldown with a metal claw and arm. The later models had the quieter and more desirable cardiod fiber puldown. The 2B does not have a quickly removable groundglass such as the 2C, the 2b groundglass is smaller and the only way to change it is to dismantle the viefinder and none of the contemporary groundglass style are readily available for the 2B. At one time some tech would modify later model 2bs converting them to 2Cs by installing 2C groundglass holders (this involved welding and machining) and 2C doors and optics. The 2b has the Rodenstock viewfinder which does not have a removable and upgradable eyepiece. Thanks Bruce

• 6 months later...

I have been lurking on this messageboard for a little while and thought I would start contributing. So here it goes...

I think I have discovered another difference between the IIc and the IIb. I have a IIb that has the cardioid movement and a fiberous pulldown claw. It had one modification when I purchased it, a pilotone generator that has a 50hz output at 24fps (practically useless to me). I immediately purchased a IIc door for the camera, which fits perfect on the IIb, no problems at all.

Anyway, I decided to get a blimp for the camera. (I have 2 blimped arrilfex-s camera packages and I don't have too much trouble running them, so I thought I would do the same for my 35mm camera) I got a 120 blimp that had only one owner and it is in great shape, the foam liner behind the courderoy even looks brand new, which is wierd for a 40year old blimp. The blimp came with a AC synchronous motor which is designed to work with the blimps switching and pilotone sync circuts. Now, here is were I discovered the difference: When I removed the pistol grip motor from the camera I noticed that the drive gear on my IIb has a stainless steel cap. This is not the intermeadiate gear, or the gear on the motor but the gear on the actual drive shaft. After some research, and a call to Axel Broda, it turns out that all the IIbs have this cap, the IIc has a six sided star gear which connects to the flat base motor that is in my blimp. Fortunately I was able to find one of these gears and I will make the conversion on my camera from IIb to IIc.