Snow White and The Huntsman

I watched the film yesterday at a theater that had a SONY 4K projector, yet the 35mm anamorphic footage was scanned at 2K, and the 65mm footage at 8K. Cinematographer Greig Fraser shot the movie and it looked great. This is the first time I've seen KODAK 5230 on the big screen and also in 65mm. 65mm was used on the wide shots and 35mm anamorphic for the mids and close-up shots. The 65mm shots were stunning. 5201 and 5207 in 65mm is..WOW!! The 5230 has the smoky shadows of 5218, but the 'edge' that looks more like 5219. Yeah, it's a popcorn fairytale movie,so what. I had some issues with Charlize Theron's performance, but overall- a job well done.

I really enjoyed it (far more than Hunger Games) but my girlfriend also had issues with Charlize, namely her slow drooling voice.

Great cinematography though.

Fave line: Dwarfs wading through sewage. One complains about being surrounded by Poo, to which Ray Winstone exclaims in his own unique way as he looks down "I think that was one of mine" Cracking.

The script/story is well known but doesn't even try to be more than it is, pretty much straightforward. The look/cinematography was very good, wished there was a 70mm-print or 4k-DCI. But even so it made "Prometheus" look like a video-game... Although, they also used a RED EPIC for F/X-shots (reflection in the mirror) - maybe Mr. Scott should have done a similar thing...

Edited by georg lamshöft

The script/story is well known but doesn't even try to be more than it is, pretty much straightforward. The look/cinematography was very good, wished there was a 70mm-print or 4k-DCI. But even so it made "Prometheus" look like a video-game... Although, they also used a RED EPIC for F/X-shots (reflection in the mirror) - maybe Mr. Scott should have done a similar thing...

I'm not mad keen on the look of Prometheus I have to say.

Apparently some of the look of that movie was dictated by limitations of the 3d process which is a bit worrying.

I don't even think it's the 3D-process itself (which propably makes camera movements and focus shifts cumbersome/difficult) but the "artifical"/"waxy" look especially on faces made the CGI-imagery fit in better - just like in Avatar!? Does this make sense? I mean you see some CGI-characters and think "that's close, but still looks artifical" and then you see a real photographed face and still have this effect to a certain degree!? Am I the only one?

I don't even think it's the 3D-process itself (which propably makes camera movements and focus shifts cumbersome/difficult) but the "artifical"/"waxy" look especially on faces made the CGI-imagery fit in better - just like in Avatar!? Does this make sense? I mean you see some CGI-characters and think "that's close, but still looks artifical" and then you see a real photographed face and still have this effect to a certain degree!? Am I the only one?

Not keen on the look overall for many, many reasons, but apparently they were more restricted in using telephoto lenses and they worked to make the film as bright as they could to compensate for the darkness of 3d projection. Don't think it's good to be making decisions that are compromises to fit in with a gimmick. It's a bad place to be starting from.

Georg did you see this projected on a Silver Screen ? If you did could explain the brightness . They are awful screens !!

I'm guessing you just heard that the BFI IMAX ripped out their screen for a silver replacement?

love

Freya

I'm drawn to this movie a little. I like fantasy/fairy tale type stuff and the cinematography sounds interresting with all these high end film formats in play, but I'm really put off by all this talk of comedy. Especially Ray Winstone and poo jokes (oh dear!)

I was hoping for something more along the lines of "In the company of wolves".

love

Freya

I was hoping for something more along the lines of "In the company of wolves".

I suspect the large budgets on these films are preventing darker content that could result in a more restricted age bracket by the certification authorities.

I heard that there may be a number of Snow White projects floating around.