Shooting Bolex in 50hz

Mike McLaughlin

Hi everyone,

I was on a shoot recently with my bolex R5, and I was shooting a lot of over crank (48 and 64 fps). The shoot was in Germany and the lighting was both tungsten and HMI (I think, it was a massive stage) and now I'm nervous about flicker. Does anyone know if I'm going to have flicker at those frame rates under 50Hz lighting?

thanks!

- Mike

How did you acheive those frame rates? If it was by selecting them on the R5 then you have nothing to worry about but maybe everything. You ran your camera 'wild' so any flicker will also be wild. Proof will be in the pudding with this one.

How did you acheive those frame rates? If it was by selecting them on the R5 then you have nothing to worry about but maybe everything. You ran your camera 'wild' so any flicker will also be wild. Proof will be in the pudding with this one.

Yes I chose those frame rates on the R5.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if I'm going to have flicker at those frame rates under 50Hz lighting?

There can be no flicker with a light source generated by an incandescent filament. There may be a flicker with a light source without inertia (eg fluorescent tubes).

• 4 months later...