TW Foley

Removing unexposed film from the magazine

Is it possible to take a 100' roll of film out of the Eclair NPR magazine? I loaded the film into the mag, found out I could not shoot that night due to a lens issue, and now there is a 100' daylight spool of b&w film in the magazine. How do I take it out?

Is it possible to take a 100' roll of film out of the Eclair NPR magazine? I loaded the film into the mag, found out I could not shoot that night due to a lens issue, and now there is a 100' daylight spool of b&w film in the magazine. How do I take it out?

Hi,

Yes, you can... In a black bag, of course.

Either unthread the begining of the film and spool it back onto its daylight spool, or cut the film where it enters the light chamber on the spooling side (you will lost a couple of feet, but it's simpler -- just don't forget to put scissors into your changing bag !).

Cheers,

B.

You can also cut film pretty easily by bending it exactly on a perf then tearing it. If you do it right it actually makes a pretty clean edge. When you're taking film back out of the camera you're gonna lose the 2 feet or so that is threaded through the gears, but it's only like 1 second of footage so not a big deal.