Angenieux 12-240mm lens support

Erkan Umut

I've tried the Ang 12-240mm zoom with CA-1 mount on eclair ACL.

As you know, its a heavy zoom.

Well, the CA-1 mount is robust and threaded well on the body. Despite this, I suspect I have to use a support.

Possibly, a lens bracket. By the way, I don't need a matte box system with rods and base plate, etc.

I could not find a bracket suitable for this application.

I think the only alternative seems to be supporting the lens from top, connected to the carrying handle screw serves as accessory holder.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Can you get a dovetail plate with 19mm rods? Can you fit the Arri one to the ACL? Then you could support the lens and get the balance. Or you could make a basic cheese-plate yourself out of 10mm aluminum plate and adapt the lens support.

I don't think supporting the lens from above with a plate bolted to the top handle mount is a good idea unless the camera is being suspended from above at the balance point. The top handle mount isn't stiff or strong enough to react loads (moments) from a big lens. The lens mount would take all the load.

I was just recently doing some drawings to design a baseplate for ACL II that would take 19mm rods, handles etc. With 19mm rods in the correct position I found that the base of the ACL camera itself would interupt the rod on the left hand side.

Cheers,

Gregg.

Can you get a dovetail plate with 19mm rods? Can you fit the Arri one to the ACL? Then you could support the lens and get the balance. Or you could make a basic cheese-plate yourself out of 10mm aluminum plate and adapt the lens support.

I don't think supporting the lens from above with a plate bolted to the top handle mount is a good idea unless the camera is being suspended from above at the balance point. The top handle mount isn't stiff or strong enough to react loads (moments) from a big lens. The lens mount would take all the load.

I was just recently doing some drawings to design a baseplate for ACL II that would take 19mm rods, handles etc. With 19mm rods in the correct position I found that the base of the ACL camera itself would interupt the rod on the left hand side.

Cheers,

Gregg.

Hi Gregg,

Thank you so much.

I know that bulky ARRI stuff, I really don't want to deal with those dovetails. I want a simple thing well enough as a support for my heavy zoom.

I like the custom-build things...

What about to design one like used for NPR many years (bottom bracket)? One simple rod, one cheese-plate between the cam and the tripod and one hinged lens ring . NPR has a place for connecting the rod on the body, of course.

Cheers,

Erkan

Hey Erkan,

If it has to be simple and cheap you could make the support plate long enough to go from the camera base to the support point under the lens. Just a length of say 80x10mm or 12mm or thicker aluminum plate with a line of counersunk holes for the camera and another line of tapped 3/8" threaded holes under the lens axis. The camera base 3/8" hole and the lens axis are offset about 9mm. Or just make whatever hole pattern suits. This idea is simple to do if you have a workshp. It's a bit heavy and bulky, but the plate needs to be stiff enough otherwise it's not useful.

The NPR idea I've only seen photos and it doesn't look good for supporting a heavy lens.

If you want to swap ideas about custom making a plate you can contact me direct at viz(at)xtra.co.nz.

Cheers,

Gregg.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

After you read the ACL II literature carefully, you get this info:

Optics

The ACL II's patented universal lens mount system consists

of a threaded "C" mount receptacle (mechanical back focal

distance of 17.52mm) set flush into the camera body face,

surrounded by a collar of raised threads of larger diameter.

Camera mounts with a stainless steel collar can quickly be

locked into position on the raised threads. You can use any of

the well-known professional lenses with accessory camera

mounts that fit the raised threads. Including, of course, the

heavy-duty Eclair CA-1 bayonet lens mount, (mechanical

back focal distance of 48mm) which is supplied standard with

the camera.

These are no mere adaptors. Lenses are rigidly and precisely

held against the camera face. So you can use zooms, or

other long or heavy lenses without any other lens supports.

A slot for gelatine filters is set into the camera body between

the lens mount and the reflex mirror. So there is no need for

separate filters for each lens, and you can see the filter through

the viewfinder.

So, I understand from this statement, the support is only needed when the lenses are threaded on the C-mount.

Edited by Erkan Umut

• 2 weeks later...

After you read the ACL II literature carefully, you get this info:

Optics

The ACL II's patented universal lens mount system consists

of a threaded "C" mount receptacle (mechanical back focal

distance of 17.52mm) set flush into the camera body face,

surrounded by a collar of raised threads of larger diameter.

Camera mounts with a stainless steel collar can quickly be

locked into position on the raised threads. You can use any of

the well-known professional lenses with accessory camera

mounts that fit the raised threads. Including, of course, the

heavy-duty Eclair CA-1 bayonet lens mount, (mechanical

back focal distance of 48mm) which is supplied standard with

the camera.

These are no mere adaptors. Lenses are rigidly and precisely

held against the camera face. So you can use zooms, or

other long or heavy lenses without any other lens supports.

A slot for gelatine filters is set into the camera body between

the lens mount and the reflex mirror. So there is no need for

separate filters for each lens, and you can see the filter through

the viewfinder.

So, I understand from this statement, the support is only needed when the lenses are threaded on the C-mount.

Hi Erkan,

That's on principle... Bu the Ange 12-240 is truly a heavy lens. I think I would use a lens support with it myself.

I have a couple of custom made models I picked up with ACL kits. If interested, send me an email at bobolex@gmail.com

Best to you in lovely Instanbul ;-)

B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Erkan,

That's on principle... Bu the Ange 12-240 is truly a heavy lens. I think I would use a lens support with it myself.

I have a couple of custom made models I picked up with ACL kits. If interested, send me an email at bobolex@gmail.com

Best to you in lovely Instanbul ;-)

B.

Thank you Boris!

I sent you an email.

Still waiting for your reply...