beaulieu 4008 and kodak vision 3

Giorgio Taricco

Hi guys,

I have shooted some rolls of Tri-x with my Beaulieu 4008 and they sorted out beautiful, using the spot meter and leningrad 6 incident reading, great exposure!

Now I need to shot 4 rolls of Vision 3 500 in a pub with artificial light.

I'm thinking to use a 1600 W halogen photo lamps plus another 500 watt lamp, all the lights will be diffused.

My question is, (I know of other thread about that sorry...)

How can I set the Beaulieu asa dial for filming with Vision 3 if I want to try the auto mode?

Really I can't understand the manual about that,

green dot, against green dot, outdoor light, opposite green dot with Tungsten film etc....?

sorry for the stupid question guys but I'm really a litte bit confused.

Thanks

Giorgio

Hi guys,

I have shooted some rolls of Tri-x with my Beaulieu 4008 and they sorted out beautiful, using the spot meter and leningrad 6 incident reading, great exposure!

I'm thinking to use a 1600 W halogen photo lamps plus another 500 watt lamp, all the lights will be diffused.

How can I set the Beaulieu asa dial for filming with Vision 3 if I want to try the auto mode?

green dot, against green dot, outdoor light, opposite green dot with Tungsten film etc....?

Thanks

Giorgio

forget the auto mode unless you already know it works. otherwise, meter like you did before, et voila. That stock is very easy to expose.

forget the auto mode unless you already know it works. otherwise, meter like you did before, et voila. That stock is very easy to expose.

Hi Chris,

I have tested the meter and the auto mode, it works perfectly so I would like to try at least one roll with this setting.

Any help?

Giorgio

• Premium Member

Hi Giorgio, Chris is right about using the hand-held meter. Sure, the camera's meter may have worked well up until now, but it is so dependent on the battery voltage. The slightest voltage drop causes the electronic system to defocus from the extra bells and whistles ( meter, battery-check meter, zoom motor etc,) and focus on maintaining camera run speed. And a 30 to 40 year-old Cds light cell has lost a lot of it's original snap.

Hi guys,

Thanks

Giorgio

so interior shots with Beaulieu 4008 eh ? that camera (one of the best s8 cameras ever by the way) has a fast shutter, assuming you are shooting at 24 or 25 fp/s, not good for interior shots, even with 1600+ 500 watts diffused lights. I would go manual esposure for sure, and near full aperture, just an f/stop after full aperture, let's say at f2.8 ( wich lens do you will use BTW ?) The V3 500 will do the rest thanks to its wide dinamic range. Remember that a little overesposure (if any) is better than under.

Regards.

Roberto

Roberto is right, I would use 1k or 2k fresnels if you can get them. The shutter angle on that camera is like 1/86, so there for allows less light in, yet yields a sharper image. The 7219 is very forgiving and looks great pushed one stop. Not really that much grainier.

chris