Resident Evil: Retribution

Five?

I know the people who watch these movies are fully aware of them being absolute trash, yet it stuns me how little internal logic this series has from one to the next. It's actually insulting to their own audience.

Some notable clunkers from the series:

- In the second movie ('Apocalypse') it's firmly established that the virus infects living tissue, but the heroes are attacked by zombies rising from graves in a cemetary with no explanation.

- In the third movie ('Extinction') the world's oceans dry up and the land masses become desert because of a virus. Someone care to explain this?

- In the fourth movie ('Afterlife') a light aircraft flies from Japan to Canada to California without refuelling, then later someone successfully takes off from a prison roof in the same plane having no previous pilot experience; the city of Los Angeles continues to burn despite the world ending years previously; the Las Plagas and the Executioner appear for no reason nor explanation; and a character suffering from convenient amnesia found in Canada winds up the the same prison in California where her brother has survived the zombie apocalypse.

And now this trailer which is unintelligible, incomprehensible and downright idiotic. Someone please stop Paul W.S. Anderson from producing these abominations that tarnish an excellent video-game series.

-

This isn't relevant to the post at all but if anyone has seen 'Blade: Trinity' there is a sequence that has infuriated me both times that I've seen it. At the beginning of the film a group of vampires fly into the Syrian desert to find a pyramid that contains the slumbering Dracula; to gain access to the pyramid the vampires wear full-body UV suits to protect them from the sun overhead. GO WHEN IT'S NIGHT-TIME!

• Premium Member

I like the sun-proof suits in Trinity; they may be the best thing about the movie. For how long have we expressed frustration that vampires never seem to figure out this elementary defence? What amazed me was that a vampire had managed to learn how to fly a helicopter without arousing suspicion, given that flying after dark is one of the last things you learn.

Anyway, agree about the Resident Evil movies. The first one was an amusing B-movie action flick of just the sort that I find irresistible (in the same way I find a bacon double cheeseburger irresistible, you understand. It's junk food, but it's tasty.) Much the same can be said about the Underworld series, in which the first was amusing and they went terribly downhill thereafter.

Probably there are two things we can draw from this:

- Plots such as those of the first Resident Evil and Underworld movies are now considered far too advanced for the average cinemagoer, and

- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is now being extensively promoted here in the UK. I thought this was mindless and feeble when I saw it trailed in LA back in April. In a world where UK studios sit idle and the balance of payments is firmly in the red, why were the prints (er, drives) not burned in effigy when they arrived at customs?

Five?

I know the people who watch these movies are fully aware of them being absolute trash, yet it stuns me how little internal logic this series has from one to the next. It's actually insulting to their own audience.

Some notable clunkers from the series:

- In the second movie ('Apocalypse') it's firmly established that the virus infects living tissue, but the heroes are attacked by zombies rising from graves in a cemetary with no explanation.

- In the third movie ('Extinction') the world's oceans dry up and the land masses become desert because of a virus. Someone care to explain this?

- In the fourth movie ('Afterlife') a light aircraft flies from Japan to Canada to California without refuelling, then later someone successfully takes off from a prison roof in the same plane having no previous pilot experience; the city of Los Angeles continues to burn despite the world ending years previously; the Las Plagas and the Executioner appear for no reason nor explanation; and a character suffering from convenient amnesia found in Canada winds up the the same prison in California where her brother has survived the zombie apocalypse.

And now this trailer which is unintelligible, incomprehensible and downright idiotic. Someone please stop Paul W.S. Anderson from producing these abominations that tarnish an excellent video-game series.

YOU SHUT YOUR BLASPHEMOUS MOUTH!! Milla Jovovich can do no wrong and nether can Ali Larter B) AND there are very logical reasons for these so called "discrepancies"! No 2, Viruses mutate rapidly so the appearance of carrion mutated viruses bringing the dead back to life was inevitable. No 3, With that many virus in the world (they did take over like all the crows and dogs and desert gas station attendants), they probably got thirsty and drank all the water. See perfectly logical. Finally, No 4, it just didn't SHOW her refueling because the movie was too long so they cut those scenes out and the sleazy bag producer who stole her airplane probably had Microsoft Flight Simulator on his computer with all the controllers because he was rich which is why he nearly crashed and chopped up all those zombies with the propeller. I do have one question for you though, if ya hate the movies so much, why didn't you stop watching them after the first one? B)

This isn't relevant to the post at all but if anyone has seen 'Blade: Trinity' there is a sequence that has infuriated me both times that I've seen it. At the beginning of the film a group of vampires fly into the Syrian desert to find a pyramid that contains the slumbering Dracula; to gain access to the pyramid the vampires wear full-body UV suits to protect them from the sun overhead. GO WHEN IT'S NIGHT-TIME!

Trinity was my favorite of all the Blade movies mainly because of Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds. B)

• Premium Member

YOU SHUT YOUR BLASPHEMOUS MOUTH!! Milla Jovovich can do no wrong and nether can Ali Larter B) AND there are very logical reasons for these so called "discrepancies"! No 2, Viruses mutate rapidly so the appearance of carrion mutated viruses bringing the dead back to life was inevitable. No 3, With that many virus in the world (they did take over like all the crows and dogs and desert gas station attendants), they probably got thirsty and drank all the water. See perfectly logical. Finally, No 4, it just didn't SHOW her refueling because the movie was too long so they cut those scenes out and the sleazy bag producer who stole her airplane probably had Microsoft Flight Simulator on his computer with all the controllers because he was rich which is why he nearly crashed and chopped up all those zombies with the propeller. I do have one question for you though, if ya hate the movies so much, why didn't you stop watching them after the first one? B)

As they say, Don't mess with Texas!

I'm familiar with the Resident Evil series yeah. Me and a friend went to see the first one on the back of the games.

After twenty minutes I said "D'you wanna just leave?"

Never an easy decision after you've shelled out a tenner but he didn't hesitate. "Probblies yeah" he said. We went and had the cars hand-washed. Much more interesting to watch.... and cheaper.

Was a 39 we're really going back some.

393939.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was me and the same guy that walked out of Johnny English after about the same length of time.

Edited by Rex Orwell

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I ever liked about these movies was the hallway laser grid thing that cut people up into little cubes.

The second one is a disaster, like a car wreck you just stare at openmouthed. I think it's the only movie ever with two different scenes of something blowing up and a piece of shrapnel hitting the heroine.

The worst thing is, it was directed by Alexander Witt, one of the best second unit director/DPs working today (he also shot Body of Lies for Ridley Scott). It's funny how some DPs who direct end up showing an extreme case of tone-deafness.

If I remember right, it had two DPs in the credits. Maybe it was because of some Jan De Bont-type problems, where the first guy quit?

I never saw the fourth one because it looked low-rent, had all that Matrix crap that's so tired that people don't even make fun of it anymore, and didn't make any sense. Same deal with this one.

The first and the fourth are the best. Funny enough, Afterlife is stupid but at the same time its not bad. If you watch it as a surreal/abstract allegory for Alice's guilt in her role with Umbrella, it kinda works. And the reverse structure of the script seems to suggest so. Probably a lucky Happy Accident on Anderson's part. Otherwise, yeah they are pretty slick, stupid fun movies.

The first and the fourth are the best. Funny enough, Afterlife is stupid but at the same time its not bad. If you watch it as a surreal/abstract allegory for Alice's guilt in her role with Umbrella, it kinda works. And the reverse structure of the script seems to suggest so. Probably a lucky Happy Accident on Anderson's part. Otherwise, yeah they are pretty slick, stupid fun movies.

Look, These movies are not high art. They ARE however, a blast to watch. Hot, bad ass chicks kicking ass, evil, unrepentant monsters that eat people, a huge soulless evil multinational corporation that destroys humanity (perhaps the one REAL plot element),and LOTS of guns, martial arts, explosions and one liners. I LOVE that S*IT! IF you're looking for art, go watch Lawrence of Arabia or Citizen Kane. I also LOVE those movies but my shameful secret is I have a Hell of a lot more fun watching Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter kick zombie ass!! B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
, it was directed by Alexander Witt

His first directing job, or one of his first? Did he have any real sway?

I once worked on a terrible, terrible movie which taught me several things: that you can tell if the movie is going to be awful from the script, that you can tell what's going to be cheesy before it happens, and that movie sets often subscribe to an enormous amount of groupthink, inasmuch as everyone knows it's terrible, and they know why it's terrible, in some detail, but everyone's looking after their jobs and nobody will ever mention the problems.