Louie C.K. show

Paul Koestner has posted in RedUser and has answered questions about the show. Best comedy on TV.

Does anyone know if the Blu-Rays are 720 like the broadcast or did they do a 1080 version for the Blu-Ray?

• Premium Member

I don't think the show's well written and I've never found him the least bit funny. I LOVE great comedy and this ain't. About the only GOOD thing I can say about the show is Daniel Tosh isn't on it. I might not care for Louis C.K. but REALLY dislike THAT guy. B)

Who do you find funny that you would like to see in a show like this?

Thanks to this thread I decided to watch a couple episodes.

I think Louis CK is mildly funny. Saw him live once, but he just started whining toward the end of the show. Not exactly the most enjoyable thing.

There was nothing special about the pilot. It's not like it's some groundbreaking camera work or something. The format is boring. Him doing standup, then acting out the story he's talking about basically.

The second episode had some better production value, but that makes sense. The poker scene looked pretty good, and the conversation was kinda funny and had some depth, but other than that, kinda boring. He's not really funny in the episode, it felt like it kinda dragged. And again, didn't notice anything special about the way it was shot the rest of that episode. It's competent.

Unless I'm missing something.

• Premium Member

Thanks to this thread I decided to watch a couple episodes.

I think Louis CK is mildly funny. Saw him live once, but he just started whining toward the end of the show. Not exactly the most enjoyable thing.

There was nothing special about the pilot. It's not like it's some groundbreaking camera work or something. The format is boring. Him doing standup, then acting out the story he's talking about basically.

The second episode had some better production value, but that makes sense. The poker scene looked pretty good, and the conversation was kinda funny and had some depth, but other than that, kinda boring. He's not really funny in the episode, it felt like it kinda dragged. And again, didn't notice anything special about the way it was shot the rest of that episode. It's competent.

Unless I'm missing something.

I haven't got to see it but got a kick out of how he has been into production for a while and owns his own camera and gear and edits with FCP on a MacBookPro. That seems pretty cool to me and is a big change from the way that the business used to work. It's like the shift in the music industry in the past couple of decades in which many bands have all the equipment to record and distribute their albums with no record company involved. There used to be one or two bands that could do that but what they had were usually million dollar studios in their mansions or vacation homes.

Who do you find funny that you would like to see in a show like this?

I don't want to see ANYONE in a show like this, IE a boring, poorly written piece of crap. HOWEVER, my favorite current comedy show is "Archer" which has me rolling in the isles. Well written, truly hilarious and always worth watching a second even third or FOURTH time. Other past favorites are Cheers, Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, Scrubs ETC. B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

If you're looking for the standard joke-a-minute bad television, then Louie isn't for you. It's VERY different and original, and certainly not for everyone. There are very few jokes in the show, with the exception of the standup scenes, and I'd hesitate to actually call the show a comedy, especially this season. It's so original that it's hard to label, and I think that's a great thing. It's about life. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's sad, and sometimes it's very contemplative and quiet. It's very artful in my opinion. It's kind of ironic that it's gotten so much press and praise this season since this is clearly the most esoteric season. The first two seasons were much more commercial and comical.

The cinematography is very loose and fits the content of the show very nicely. Side note: Louie was tweeting and asking people where to find a specific Ultra Prime earlier this year, which I found very DIY and funny. Just tell your producer to find it!

I agree with you James that Archer is funny. Fart jokes, binge drinking, and sexual harassment can be hilarious, but to compare it to Louie is pointless, that would be like comparing Transformers to There Will Be Blood.

If you're looking for the standard joke-a-minute bad television, then Louie isn't for you. It's VERY different and original, and certainly not for everyone. There are very few jokes in the show, with the exception of the standup scenes, and I'd hesitate to actually call the show a comedy, especially this season. It's so original that it's hard to label, and I think that's a great thing. It's about life. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's sad, and sometimes it's very contemplative and quiet. It's very artful in my opinion. It's kind of ironic that it's gotten so much press and praise this season since this is clearly the most esoteric season. The first two seasons were much more commercial and comical.

The cinematography is very loose and fits the content of the show very nicely. Side note: Louie was tweeting and asking people where to find a specific Ultra Prime earlier this year, which I found very DIY and funny. Just tell your producer to find it!

I agree with you James that Archer is funny. Fart jokes, binge drinking, and sexual harassment can be hilarious, but to compare it to Louie is pointless, that would be like comparing Transformers to There Will Be Blood.

To each, his own.