Move Overseas

Hello,

For a while now, I have been seriously considering moving abroad. I find the the frequency and type of work I am getting here is not improving. Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain a visa for Canada if your a shooter? I am over 30, so I can't get a standard work visa.

Thanks,

I am over 30, so I can't get a standard work visa.

Thanks,

Why do you say this? Hundreds of thousands of people a year over 30 immigrate to Canada.

I would apply through the regular channels, it's not like Canada is in the habit of saying no to any immigrant.

Of course your chances go up substantially if you are from a Third World country, have a criminal record, or plan to contribute nothing to Canada.

R,

• 1 month later...

I did just this, moving to Vancouver from England.

As a shooter, and working freelance on a job by job basis, there is no easy way I'm afraid. Check out the CIC website for the different options, but I basically applied for Permanent Residency as a Skilled Worker, which took almost 3 years from application to getting my PR. If you have 4 years experience in a qualifying job category, and a decent education, you should meet the points requirement.

If you are offered a full time salaried role working for a company, and the application is approved by HRDC, you can get a work visa just for that job. Those jobs just don't exist in film production, so that is the only route I'm afraid.

Good luck!