Music video shot on c300

DS Williams

Hey guys!

Quick and dirty little music video I DPed/Gaffed with the c300 and Optefex filters

May not be everyone's cup of tea but I just want to highlight how well the 300 footage graded. I decided to shoot in C-Log and was impressed with how far I could stretch tones and levels, even in 8 bit YCbCr

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552qF9i3TAU

Hey,

I like the on black performances the best. The color mix and grading look great, the C300 can definitely hold color information.

I've done my share of streak filter music videos, though I've never used the Optefex, I think the "new" Tiffen company is making them too. I think I saw something about them in the new ASC mag. They will never flare like an actual anamorphic lens (Panavision, Hawk, etc.) so they do end up looking kind of similar. A real flare looks different depending on where it is in the frame and how far the source is from the lens.

phil thompson: The flare/streak look is here to stay. Zeiss is making a new set of anamorphic lenses and they are most likely going to flare like Pana-Cs or Hawks. JJ Abrams likes them and so do the bulk of the top pop/rock/rap directors.

Cheers,

Matt

Your vid caught me at an unguarded moment. I had these thoughts. Philosophy and film experience rather than digitography.

This is a quite brutal piece of eye-lolly propaganda designed to convince us that self gratification is the most important thing in the universe. But of course most of us are already convinced so this is a maintenance exercise, just going a little bit harder, brighter, faster, whatever it takes. Neurologically, it's a kind of force fed sugar rush. Do we need to prep for this experience by doing jazzercise, or getting jacked up to follow the image count. Or drinking Jack to get numb and just letting it wash over us (i.e. not really seeing it).

Even the ants crawling along my kitchen bench have got the message loud and clear. This vid confirms it. African American men want money and sex, now.

Cheers,

Gregg.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

DS Williams put his work on the forum to start a discussion about grading C300 footage and Optefex filters. While it may not be to everyone's taste, DS Williams didn't direct the video and, regardless, I don't think his generous post demanded such a vitriolic and borderline racist response.