Google SketchUp - 3D Pre-Viz for Commercial

Hey Guys!

It's been a long time since I've been on this forum! I hopped back on recently and I'm glad everyone is still posting and sharing. Anyway, I wanted to share some of the work I've been doing lately.

I've recently been shooting commercials and TV Promos and I've been using Google SketchUp to pre-visualize the blocking and camera angles. I learned about SketchUp from a production designer who was using it to lay out the set we were going to shoot. I spent about a week learning it and I've used it on about 10 jobs since.

Here are two case studies I wrote about using it on real jobs.

Toyota - Google SketchUp TV & Film Case Study

http://mattworkman.com/v7/toyota-google-sketch-up-film-tv-case-study/

toyota-6.jpg

BlackBerry - Google SketchUp TV & Film Case Study

http://mattworkman.com/v7/google-sketchup-tv-film-case-study-blackberry-challenge-council/

bbgsu-07-setphotos.jpg

I worked on several visual effects commercials where the VFX company created 3D animatics and boards but there is usually some sort of disconnect between the director/DP/VFX Supervisor depending on everyone's level of comfort with 3D. I find that being the DP and making the boards it VERY beneficial. All departments have been happy with the results. The AD likes having very explicit shots, the ART dept. love knowing what we are going to see. And my G/E team like to know exactly what I'm thinking in terms of lighting setups. I also use it to make 3D lighting diagrams.

Let me know if this is the right forum to post this in!

Cheers,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

This is so odd I’m literally writing about doing this write now. I used 3d animation software for storyboards on all my projects now. Drawing is good for tone and mood, but sometimes its hard to explain camera movement by just using drawing and pictures. The program I use is Blender 3d, also freeware. They used it on spiderman 2 to figure out all the fight sequences. I’ll post the address up for the article I’m writing when I’ve finished it later today.

Also, this definitely falls under the cinematography category. No good saying what you want unless you can plan it and get your ideas across!