WTB: ECLAIR ACL II PACKAGE

If you don't have a very specific reason to get an Eclair ACL II just go with an Aaton xtr or an Arri SR II or III. Those are pretty cheap nowdays and much more reliable. I have seen SR III:s go for $4000 and SR II:s for less than $1500.

If you don't have a very specific reason to get an Eclair ACL II just go with an Aaton xtr or an Arri SR II or III. Those are pretty cheap nowdays and much more reliable. I have seen SR III:s go for $4000 and SR II:s for less than $1500.

Hey Peter,

What makes you call the ACL II less reliable. Is this from personal experience or is it an educated guess based on something..... I always thought ACLs were a good camera to own. At least for indies or people making small personal films. If maintained, completely reliable, and should be much cheaper to maintain and service. It is harder to find technicians that know ACL now, and harder to find new parts.

Cheers, Gregg.

I have had three ACL:s and I actually like the camera. But, they are getting old now. They have a pretty fragile oscillating mirror design. It's not native S16 and the conversion can be well made, but if done by somebody with less experience it could be a source for trouble. I sold my ACL:s about 10 years ago and it was hard getting spare parts then. But they are nice cameras and I can understand why you are looking for one. But today I think an SR is a better deal, especially with the prices they go for.

Edited by Peter Milanov

The Arri SrII would be a good choice, if someone can locaate a good one for under 1500...give me a shout.

Giorgio

For any of the cameras, if it's for owning long term then you really need to know what the maintainence costs might be. To know that you need to know the condition of the camera now. Is it soon going to need an overhaul? When was the last full lubrication and adjustment. Buying a camera without this information is what creates most of the risk. I would talk to some service technicians and search this forum to get an idea of the relative costs of owning these different cameras.

The shooting style of the projects may dictate the camera. If it's always hand held it's probably not the SR. The ACLII with latest motor, big Kinoptik finder, video tap and ergonomic grip is also getting heavy. You have to like the viewing system. Aaton and ACL have more than one type.

Lots of people may have their own story or anecdotes about the costs of owning a type of camera. I bought an ACLI in 1983 which had done a lot of work but looked well serviced. I used it moderately over a 10 year period, guessing I shot 150 to 200 400' rolls. It had three visits to the same service guy for lube and adjust, including the lube and colimate for the 12-120 zoom. Cost about US$280 each time back then. Never needed any parts and never broke down.

Interesting opinions, thanks.

The Arri SrII would be a good choice, if someone can locaate a good one for under 1500...give me a shout.

Giorgio

Is $1,500 your absolute maximum? It may be hard to find one for under $1,500 when you take into account not only the price of the camera itself, but shipping to Italy. If you'd be willing to curve that price just a bit, I'd say it'd be worth it.

Here's two of them that I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330760069095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arriflex-SRii-SR2-super-16mm-camera-color-tap-speed-control-nightglow-etc-/330755620750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d02923f8e

Of course, one of the two has a reserve, and it's unlikely that the seller will accept something so much lower than the asking price of $4,000 USD, but I'd say it's at least worth a go if you're really after it. And as for the other package, it's more than likely that the bidding price is going to far exceed where it's currently at, so it may not be for you.

Either way, good luck with your future endeavours,

- Jordan

Thanks Gregg and Jordan for your advices.

Really, I don't want to buy overseas as the shipping cost and the duties would be too expensive.

I have found a ACL package some time ago and it has been sold for 800 Euro, was really a good deal.

Les Bosher will be my service man for my Eclair camera and probably for the Super 16 conversion.

Giorgio

Hi guys,

I have found this interesting kit on ebay:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/350580839329?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

does anyone can help me to recognize which model it is?

I don't think is an ACL II, it seems the 1.5 version or something else?

It's a kinoptic finder or the Angenieux version?

Thanks for your help.

Giorgio

Hi guys,

I have found this interesting kit on ebay:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/350580839329?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

......I don't think is an ACL II, it seems the 1.5 version or something else?

That looks like an ACL II base, assume it's an ACL II body. It's sitting on a small piece of plastic that photographs so white that it looks like the base has been custom machined.

Thanks Gregg for your thoughts.

What about the viewfinder, it's a Kinoptic or Angenieux?

Also, the ACL II version must have the inboard battery and this seems a normal ACL battery package or I'm wrong?

Giorgio

We should shift these ideas into the Eclair forum. Easier to find later and you will get maybe better answers. I think that's an Angenieux viewfinder. I think they self level. I haven't used that one but it's common, someone will identify it easily. It's different to the big Kinoptik finder I have.

ACL II camera has a standard 4 pin male XLR power connector. The battery can go anywhere. Also I think any ACL can take an on board battery if the little battery bracket is screwed onto the camera. I don't recognize the connector on the battery in the eBay photos.

Cheers, Gregg