New Stills from the Hobbit

Well, Stills from the Hobbit have arrived and WOW do they look bad!

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/70135652.html

I think the worst of the bunch is the shot of gandalf. The grass in bag end looks a very nasty shade of green. Gandalf looks sort of pasted in, and I'm not sure where to start with the sky! Everything looks a bit too new and unweathered too but that's the least of the problems.

Having said that the close up of the elf lady is really shocking too. Skin tones are, well, not really there and the blown out highlights are like something off a very cheap camcorder. Theres some slight colour fringing or something going on too that I can't put into words.

The scene with Gandalf and elf king type person is full of blown out highlights and looks kinda fake. Also really fake looking is the scene where they are going though a cave or something. Those rocks look like, well nothing like actual rocks.

Ironically, I think the best looking shots are of Gollum and possibly the barrels?

Everything looks strangely slightly fake except ironically the shot with Gollum in which I'm sure is actually fake. Very odd.

I'm quite shocked as I saw the trailer and thought it just looked a bit meh! However these stills from the movie look really unspeakably bad. Maybe it's not as awful when it is in motion.

I'm also now wondering if the trailer wasn't something cobbled together before production on the film began. As I suggested before, the cinematography looked a bit Meh! but I also found it was a bit annoying with all the singing and everything. Just generally not very atmospheric. Unfotunately what is now appearing looks even worse than the trailer which I thought looked just sort of okay.

The whole thing is very odd. Could this be originating from the use of a different shutter angle for the high frame rates or something?

Definitely giving this movie a big miss now.

Looks REALLY bad.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

I looked at that page. There might be some kind of strange poling strategy to help refine the design of the little plastic action figures. By analysis of the ensuing social media chatter. Regarding that, this was the first time I arrived at a page with numerous looped thumbnail vids. All looking like epileptic fits or a glitch in the matrix. Are Sir Peter J. et al responsible for that? Decades ago I read someones idea that the world was becoming more and more full of progressively less meaningful things......

• Premium Member

Why have some of them got such big feet?

(I should make it clear that I am, at best, ambivalent about fantasy and particularly unimpressed with the fawningly-uncritical reaction the world has shown to the extremely average Lord of the Rings adaptations; as such, I have never seen two of them, and the first one only while working as a projectionist).

D'you know, I've never seen a website and thought "This might be the worst website I've ever seen in my life"

... untill now.

Heh heh! It is a bit scary. Surprised nobody has made comment on their tag line about celebs, which instantly scared me. Sadly it seemed to have the best pictures of the stills. Everyone else wanted to put them in little thumbnails or some complicated viewer that sort of works etc. This site just plonked them on there.

What's most worrying about that website tho, is it would appear to be quite popular!!!

*scared*

love

Freya

Yes, however; I have seen the first one, and it was feeble.

:)

Are you replying to something Phil?

That sentence seems slightly out of context?

Personally I thought the LOTR films were okay. I thought the cinematography and effects were nice.

I liked them.

Maybe not wildly excited like some people get, but I liked them.

This Hobbit thing however, is not looking fun at all.

love

Freya