RED ONE MX STROBING PROBLEM AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE

daniel mahlknecht

Hello all,

I encountered a problem after I did the firmware update 31.6.16 on my RED ONE MX.

The footage I shot after this has all a kind of strobing problem,

not only when panning but also with everything moving inside the frame.

I reinstalled the firmware more times following the installing manual.

I tried also to downgrade the camera but the problem remains.

Has someone an advice to give or a solution to this problem?

Thank you

• 4 months later...

I just bought a used red1 mx camera and found out that it has the same issue of strobing in all shots where anything moves within the frame (even when the camera is fixed).

I tried all shutter speeds and all bitrates, did the black shading too but nothing has worked. Even changed the lens mount and tried on a different lens :(

I am not sure if my problem is related to any firmware upgrade or not because I have not upgraded the firmware and I am not sure if the previous owner did that.

I have an urgent shoot coming up in 2 days and I am stuck with this problem. Would appreciate if you or anybody else on this forum could respond fast.

• Premium Member

Hello all,

I encountered a problem after I did the firmware update 31.6.16 on my RED ONE MX.

The footage I shot after this has all a kind of strobing problem,

not only when panning but also with everything moving inside the frame.

I reinstalled the firmware more times following the installing manual.

I tried also to downgrade the camera but the problem remains.

Has someone an advice to give or a solution to this problem?

Thank you

How are you looking at the footage? I suspect you monitors scan rate is not the same as the camera. As there has not been a firmware update you may have forgotten to change a preset, especially if the problem remains when wou roll back the firmware.

Thank you for the response... Really appreciate it...

What is the 'camera's scan rate'?

I am viewing the footage on a 60hz (hp 3065) monitor via adobe premiere cs6. I shot footage on 25fps as well as 29.97 (30 fps) on the camera if that is what you mean by the camera's scan rate. I placed the 30 fps footage on a 30 fps preset timeline and the 25 fps footage on a 25 fps preset in premiere. The stuttering occurs on both frame rates. Is there anything else that I must do (or not do) ?

The monitor is a computer screen with 60hz native. I tried a different computer screen with 50 hz native but the problem persists. It does get a bit smoother at 60hz with 60 fps footage but a large amount of strobing/stuttering still exists.

Would it be gone if I use an LCD TV screen instead of a computer screen or is it necessary to go in for PGM monitors?

• Premium Member

The monitor is a computer screen with 60hz native. I tried a different computer screen with 50 hz native but the problem persists. It does get a bit smoother at 60hz with 60 fps footage but a large amount of strobing/stuttering still exists.

Would it be gone if I use an LCD TV screen instead of a computer screen or is it necessary to go in for PGM monitors?

I doubt a PC screen is 50 or 60 native, there is a conversion going on. Earlier you said the problem only happened before the firmware are you sure?

I tried the 25fps on a 50 hz TV - still the same... If there is a conversion going on then I do not know about it... The firmware issue was that of another user on this forum (daniel) - I got this camera just about 10 days back from a previous owner. I am not sure if the previous owner got the firmware updated before he gave it to me...