On Camera Light -Hahnel Compact Opto 35

Amongst a box of assorted video junk, I aquired a Hahnel Compact Opto 35, which is a funny little on camera light setup. I've never used an on camera light before and I'm wondering what the effect will be like, and if it will basically be horrible.

The light consists of a big lens with a 35w halogen bulb behined it.

It's kind of an interesting light, but It presently needs either new battery cells or a new halogen bulb or both! As a resuly I'm eyeing to gut it and use it for parts for a DIY LED light made from various bits of junk. Maybe I shouldn't tho and should try to get it working but...

Anybody used one or something similar and have opinions?

love

Freya

• Premium Member

I just brought one home to give it a home myself. In truth; they're generally what you'd see at night on reportage, but can also serve as a nice and simple eye-light (which is what I indend to do with mine.. as it has a dimmer) dimmed down with some diffusion on it just to give a pop in close ups ect.

It also can be used as an obie- though you'd need to really get it "bigger," for a good effect.

Like all lights, on it's own, it's Meh, but once you work it into an overall lighting scheme these little on camera lights can be quite useful.

Also as mine is 12vcd; it also works as a nice flashlight at night when I'm camping and forger to unload my block batteries.

I just brought one home to give it a home myself. In truth; they're generally what you'd see at night on reportage, but can also serve as a nice and simple eye-light (which is what I indend to do with mine.. as it has a dimmer) dimmed down with some diffusion on it just to give a pop in close ups ect.

It also can be used as an obie- though you'd need to really get it "bigger," for a good effect.

Like all lights, on it's own, it's Meh, but once you work it into an overall lighting scheme these little on camera lights can be quite useful.

Also as mine is 12vcd; it also works as a nice flashlight at night when I'm camping and forger to unload my block batteries.

I assume yours isn't exactly the same Adrian, as this one is only 6v. Is yours the same make?

I'm definitely of the opinion that all lights are good and you can do good things with them if you learn about what their properties are. I'm intrigued by the HUGE lens on the front of this one! It's like a giant magnifier more than a sort of fresnal effect so I'm not sure what that going to be about. Maybe it magnifies the light into a beam to project it more?

I like the portable aspect of the light. I wonder if I'm doing the wrong thing to lose the halogen and replace it with LED's but OTOH the LED's will probably last longer and at least be as bright I would have thought. Plus I have a broken LED light here I can gut for parts! :)

Getting into the whole punk lighting thing at the moment. ;)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

Hey lovely;

Mine also has a strange non-fresnel lens (though not like yours at all, mines a NRG Varilux) powered off of a 4 pin XLR. I would assume the lenses in yours and mine are more to do with intensity and projection, akin to a PAR, than even beam spread /control like you'd get with a Fresnel.

In terms of the LEDs; i'm of two minds.

Firstly, it will last longer and consume far less power/generate less heat. I am sure both of ours will get pretty hot after a good deal of use. So in that aspect I think it's a good idea. However, given the rather poor spectrum reproduction of LEDs, I would worry a bit about the green spikes and how lack-luster skin-tones look with LED lighting in my opinion. That being said, those issues are rather correctable given the right gels ect. I would highly recommend putting a color meter in front of it when you get her running to see what kind of -G you need for the light. Then just tape it on.

Might be worthwhile to do RGB LEDs, perhaps with a way to control them? Then you'd have some very interesting mixing abilities i''m imagining hiding it in a car off of a cigarette lighter for A harder light than you'd normally get going the mini-flo route of most car shooting. Also if you could mix RGB you could match to multiple sources (street lights ect) for a nice on camera "flatter-er" light.

I'll probably be playing a bit with my halogen version end of the month on this 35 shoot where we have a lot of Macro work to deal with. Will let you know how it goes.

My 2 pence ;)