How to recognize this camera, ACL I 1.5 or II?

Giorgio Taricco

Hello Eclair owners and expert.

I'm interested on this camera: http://www.ebay.it/itm/350580839329?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

but I'm not sure what model it is.

Looks like an ACL II but with the early angenieux finder and other details are different, does anyone can help me on this?

Thanks

Giorgio

Edited by Giorgio Taricco

Giorgio,

It does look mostly like an ACL II. It has the larger base with XLR and external sync connectors; on-board battery holder; and the heavy-duty, mirror-parking motor (though it is superficially different from the motor on my ACL II). It also has the anatomical hand grip, though I haven't seen an extended hand grip like that one before - which seems useful, as the short anatomical hand grip interferes with the rod supports on my Eclair.

The finder does look like the orientable Angenieux version from an ACL 1.5. Knowing the serial number of the camera and motor would be useful in determining if it is an ACL II, or if all the parts unique to the ACL II were reassembled onto an earlier model. More likely, the Kinoptik finder was damaged in some way and replaced with the Angenieux. Whether the magazine is of English or French manufacture would also be good to know.

My understanding is that there are no mechanical differences between the 1.5 and II, though, so I would consider the actual operational condition to be more important. I would find out if they have any records of the camera being serviced, or any other information about the history of the camera. Good luck.

Daniel

HI Daniel, thanks so much for your helpful answer.

sadly the seller did not answer to my questions about serial number etc.. so I'm not so sure to bid as the camera is listed as not tested...

I will try to contact him again to get some more infos, it's a good kit for a good price to me.

By the way, where is the detail of the inboard battery holder and is the viewfinder removeable on the ACL cameras?

Ciao

Giorgio

Edited by Giorgio Taricco

HI Daniel, thanks so much for your helpful answer.

sadly the seller did not answer to my questions about serial number etc.. so I'm not so sure to bid as the camera is listed as not tested...

I will try to contact him again to get some more infos, it's a good kit for a good price to me.

By the way, where is the detail of the inboard battery holder and is the viewfinder removeable on the ACL cameras?

Ciao

Giorgio

You can see the onboard battery bracket in the first big photo. It's screwed to the right hand side of the camera body at the back. I think I can see the fittings on the larger battery that slot into the camera bracket. The other battery is diffeent. Each type of viewfinder has it's own type of base that screws onto the camera with two small screws. I think the angenieux and Kinoptic bases are different. Looks like a French mag to me.

That camera may be one that has had low use, but it's still a gamble regarding the maintenance costs if tou don't have the service history. If you want S16 then the cheapest way is to nuy a camera that is already converted. To this kit you probably also have to add a more usefull zoom and more magazines. So the costs go up.

Ciao Giorgio,

To me, this camera looks like a 1976/1977 model that had an ACL II base added later. Everything coresponds to the late 70's model : motor, viewfinder, small details on the body... Also, the ergonomic handgrip and its attachment on the body are not standard, so they were also probably added later.

Look at all the info that I put on eclair16.com to help with the dating of these cameras, and a lot more info too. Regarding the viewfinder, yes it is removable easily. But yes, if you want to trade it for another kind of ACL viewfinder; you have to have the matching mount. If you do, it's easy, as it's only attached with two screws.

CIao, Boris