Advice for finding non-union work as an AC

Hello,

Thank you first off everyone for your time in putting this site together and populating it with information. I hope to be able to help and give advice to different topics as time permits.

I just move to Los Angeles from Pittsburgh, PA where I was a Camera Op/AC working on Commercials, Corporate and Sports. I was also a Producer for a television show for 2 years, prior to taking the full step to Camera Op/AC.

It was the right time for me to move and the right opportunity presented itself. I'm currently working as an intern for an ASC member. I don't see it as a step down in my career, I felt it was a good way to make connections and continue to learn. I'm mostly in his rental house and will begin to get on set starting in the coming week (it just so happens that he has some work coming up). I've only been here a month and only committed to his internship for 3 months.

I'm also learning the requirements of having a number of hours of non-union work prior to joining the 600. And once joining the 600, getting on a Producer's roster.

I want to work and grow to a level of a Cinematographer, but I'm not willing to get ahead of myself, my strengths are in the Camera Department as an Operator and an AC.

Could anyone offer any advice on good places to look for non-union work, hopefully a good place to look for paid work. What are some good ways to get in touch with other Directors/DPs to get on their crew, even as a Camera PA, to gain their trust on their commercial productions?

Thanks for your advice and I look forward to reading more on the forum!

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

Curious how you got an internship for an ASC member?

I myself is looking into moving down but I just don't know where to begin.

Does anyone have an answer for David that will possibly benefit many lurking.

Thanks David for posting a well worded question that many have.