• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

That John Cage guy is dreaming.

Most universities have policies in place that would make this impossible 

Maybe that was old school. Back in the day things were more loose. (in some areas.)

Lists like this are good tor read over periodically to get you back on track with being open to something new.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Like 1

I quiet agree, having some sort of manifesto to apply to creative labours can help give focus and direction to new projects.

Unfortunately the increasing marketisation of education and the focus on "student satisfaction" - really risk eroding that principle. The most difficult element of my teaching practice is juggling the desire to push students to experiment and make mistakes.

But then find away to mark and grade those mistakes fairly. For some students wanting high grades, they stray away from experimentation and only produce  safer work to score "higher" marks. Its a shame but not easily fixed. You want to award good students with high grades, they want high grades, but most marking schemes don't reward noble failures. 

i love the idealism of the "rule sheet" - but to fully engage with it would be a real challenge in practice (which I guess is the point)