The 135 Greatest Shots In History

• Premium Member

I'd say for every 135 shots you can pick, I can pick 135 others. nice to watch; of course, not really great examples of great shots-- more like a collection of "oh i like these shots." I mean, c'mon, no T-Rex from Jurassic Park?!

Ah but when is a shot a shot? If a team of CG guys add a T-Rex to a BG plate supplied by a cinematographer, whose shot is it?

R,

• Premium Member

I'm thinking more the leg comming down and grant grabbing Lex personally ;). Or the Lawyer on the toilet; but I digress. If we follow that logic-- what about all the props in the shot, and wardrobe ect? This is assuming we ascribe the shot to the cinematographer, not the camera operator; or the director ect.

I'm thinking more the leg comming down and grant grabbing Lex personally ;). Or the Lawyer on the toilet; but I digress. If we follow that logic-- what about all the props in the shot, and wardrobe ect? This is assuming we ascribe the shot to the cinematographer, not the camera operator; or the director ect.

Right, then the only shot in that montage that counts is the Black Stallion, with the high cliff and the horse on top. Minus the horse of course as the DOP didn't wrangle it up there.

In all seriousness it's hard for a DOP to take credit for a shot that is 90% CG.

R,

Ah but when is a shot a shot? If a team of CG guys add a T-Rex to a BG plate supplied by a cinematographer, whose shot is it?

R,

When it ends up in the final cut, it's a shot. Some of my FAVORITE shots are LOADED with CGI and practical FX. Black Narcissus is basically all glass plates and forced perspective and it is VERY effective and phenomenally beautiful. ALL movie shots are manipulated images. Even Dogma 95 films are manipulated images. There is NO WAY to avoid it. When you pick up a camera you choose what your audience will see so even a fully CGI-ed film like Avatar has some incredible shots that very much deserve to be called shots. I mean they just didn't magically appear, SOMEBODY designed the shot your audience sees whether on a set or in a computer. It all counts in fact good CGI may be harder to do. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

I mean they just didn't magically appear, SOMEBODY designed the shot your audience sees whether on a set or in a computer. It all counts in fact good CGI may be harder to do. B)

Of course, but if the shot is pretty much all CG does the DOP help design the shot and work with the VFX supervisors in that case? I dunno? I'm asking the question.

R,

Well yeah, they have to for continuity in the look of the sequence. Ive seen some stuff on SyFi Channel where the CGI was done independently from the rest of the production and it was a mess. The CGI stood out like an NBA player at a Hobbit convention. The lighting was wrong, the color and texture was WAY off. Just soppy work. Take "Forces of Nature" (1999), not a great script but it's use of CGI was terrific for the time. B)

It's a nice compilation, but ultimately fails for this reason: not a single shot from any John Ford film. IMO no "greatest shots list" is complete without referencing Ford at least once. His eye for composition is second to none.

It's a nice compilation, but ultimately fails for this reason: not a single shot from any John Ford film. IMO no "greatest shots list" is complete without referencing Ford at least once. His eye for composition is second to none.

Just a point on semantics here... It's 135 shots that restore your faith in cinema / 135 of the most beautiful shots. It's not claiming a definitive list. Just like some greatest hits albums may not include some of the best songs, just what works for the flow of the album or however they put it together.

But yeah, there was a lot in this piece that didn't do much for me.

Ah but when is a shot a shot?

Is it a shot? Is it in a film? Seems pretty easy to figure out.

I'm not sure I'd consider the shots of the flowers (around the 3 min mark) the greatest anything in the history of film.