Lighting for B&W Video

I will be filming a B&W Samurai feature this summer hopefully. It should be a load of fun. It will either be filmed on The Gl-2 or the DVX100. I still feel quite inadequate in the field of lighting. I want it to be B&W in the end, but should i filmin B&W or film in normal and convert? which would be best?

I dont have any pro light kits, none, not mucha any lighting stuff. i can maybe get some inexpensive stuff by then though.

I want the film to look like an old kurosawa movie (Sanjuro, Yojinbo, Rashomon)

There will be a forest scene and scenes inside and outside in day and night.

so what's your advice?

thanks

• Premium Member

Since you obviously must have the camera already if your budget is only $300 to $400 (which will barely cover feeding people for the length of a feature shoot), you should practice your lighting with it. You can shoot in color and just turn off the color on the monitor as a guide (assuming you are even using a field monitor, which perhaps is doubtful.)

B&W lighting is about creating contrast, separation of objects, depth, and directing the eye to what's important. Study old b&w movies and you'll see all of these tricks: backlights, or edgelights, or dark shapes against bright spots, etc. But what sort of lights are you going to be using with a budget of $300 - $400?

I am not actually sure kind of lighting i will be using. Im still in the screenwriting process. Like i said this is not a big feature production where ill have to feed the cast or pay the actors or anything. It's just something me and some friends are going to be doing. Anyways yeah what light equip would i need for such a film? Since the budget is pretty low, consider makeshift ideas and what not. Im thinking i can increase the budget with help of friends but i dont know how mcuh actually will be required. better to have more than enough though.

ok thanks

• Premium Member

You can certainly fill out your lighting package with homemade rigs - Chinese Lanterns, fluorescents, etc. But to do good b&w lighting - i.e. controllable lighting with sharp shadows, ability to shape and cut the light, etc. -- I think you might want one or two small pro lamps, something with barndoors, can be focused, creates sharp shadow patterns, etc. If your shoot is for a limited period of time, not spread out over weekends, you could even consider renting a suitcase "kit" of a few small lamps. Otherwise, I'd try and find the money for one small lamp & stand. On the other hand, that would probably suck up all your money right there.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of not feeding the people who show up to work on your shoot, no matter how small.

$300 is how much I used to spend on some of my Super-8 short films, so I don't see how you can hope to make a feature-length project for that.

Like i said this is not a big feature production where ill have to feed the cast or pay the actors or anything. It's just something me and some friends are going to be doing.

In that case I'd seriously consider a short, especially if you feel that you aren't up on your experience yet.

Friends may be interested in being in a feature film - for the first half hour of shooting. Then they realize how much work this all is and it becomes more of a task than something fun.

The feature I'm doing now is being done with a combo of natural and professional talent. Those who have no professional experience don't enjoy themselves unless they really begin to appreciate the process and find that they can do well (and they like you and strongly believe in what you're doing). That's why I try to keep their roles in cameos, and only keep the dedicateds together for the more serious roles.

My film has a special meaning to a lot of the people who are in it (it talks about their community), so they have an extra motivator to keep them on the set.

I strongly suggest you consider finding some professionals (at least in the lead roles) who will dedicate themselves to the project, and get some more money for niceties like meals and so on.

Due to our short schedules we don't often bring food to the set, but I take out my actors sometimes, do them favors, etc. It's really important.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that because we use a lot of naturals we have to adhere to their schedule, our feature film has taken over a year and a half to shoot!

Good luck,

- G.

thanks. like i said i thought up the budget to be about 300-400 but that was basically just figuring up all that i needed. im noticing that light will require money which i can get and thanks for the adivce on feeding people. I like my actors to looook PALE!! kidding. Anyways yeah i try and find good acts around town but sometimes its hard to fit their schedule like u said or they dont have the vision. This film is a sort of spoof. A black comedy with a fairy tale essence to it. In the end it will be quite obscure (im hoping). i said i felt my experience in lighting was inadequate but ive been doing amatuer films since i was a 10. Of course im still not a pro like you guys, hehe but i have confidence. You gotta start small and you guys are making it all sound so impossible, oh btw its not going to be a feature length film. i never mentioned the length and im still not sure- maybe around an hour. yes i know its gonna be hard but like i said you gotta start some where.

anyways are there any sites u could refer me to for cheap lighting equip or some places where i can get what you all mentioned.