Correct Exposure for 250D 16mm

Chris Lee

• Premium Member

The safety is built in at 250D so just set your meter to that and you'll be fine.

Don't forget on that Scoopic that while the meter is fairly good, in automatic mode it will breathe like a Super 8 camera so once you set it, move the dial to manual so the exposure doesn't change as you turn or more light hits it.

• 2 months later...

You can certainly rate the film at 200 asa to give you a little more safety from under exposure risk. Might be a good idea to shoot with manual iris and use a hand held incident and spot meter to judge your exposures. The camera exposure meter doesn't know what you want to expose for within the frame.

• Premium Member

You can certainly rate the film at 200 asa to give you a little more safety from under exposure risk. Might be a good idea to shoot with manual iris and use a hand held incident and spot meter to judge your exposures. The camera exposure meter doesn't know what you want to expose for within the frame.

Good point. Use a hand meter and manually set the exposure. A Scoopic is just like a Super 8 camera (although the iris isn't quite as fast) and if your subject is back lit at all you'll underexpose it majorly.

• Premium Member

Good point. Use a hand meter and manually set the exposure. A Scoopic is just like a Super 8 camera (although the iris isn't quite as fast) and if your subject is back lit at all you'll underexpose it majorly.

Is this negative or reversal film?

If it's negative, I usually open up about 1/2 of a stop to give a little room for error. If it's reversal, I'd go with whatever the incident meter is telling you to set the iris to.

And yes...DO NOT use the internal light meter!!!

lots of great advise here, but I would add to shoot the stock at least 2/3 over exposure. A spot meter would be best, better than the internal meter. Unless it has been checked out, I would not trust it. Easy way to check it is to shoot it at a grey card and also meter the same grey card with a calibrated spot meter. I don't know the shutter angle of your camera, but with that info, you should be able to get pretty close. Keep in mind that Fuji 250D has tons of highlight latitude and color latitude.