Best camera for low light situations

Paul Bartok

Hi guys just looking for a general consensus of what people think is best.

Just to be clear this isn't a FILM VS DIGITAL debate or which camera is best it's just which is most suited for this situation.

If you had a $200,000 budget and were making a independent feature film, Which camera would you go with

I would say the RED EPIC but my concern is the bulk of the film will be at night and some scene near total darkness,

I keep hearing that RED isn't too good in low light condition's also there will be lots of VFX. Allot will be run and gun style

Allot of real lighting condition's as real as possible. I love film and I think (correct me if im wrong) but it could be done on a budget around that

but there not to versatile with things like small spaces etc.

So im thinking either:

-RED EPIC

or

- Panavision millennium xl2

- ARRI 235 (for versatile scenes)

Love to hear thoughts on best camera for this situation

Shane Carruth shot his film "Primer" on Super 16 for $7,000 and it's a great movie. He rented a camera for very cheap, got a deal on processing and used short ends and recans. It can be done, you just need to ask yourself how much effort you are willing to put into it to get what you want. Focus more on your story as opposed to what you want to shoot on and you'll be fine.

• Premium Member

Paul,

I would come at it like this:

Which camera is going to be more appropriate for whatever reason you have for the story. Once you know that you have your answer as for what you should try to shoot with.

I will tell you this; with a very good crew behind you you'll be ok in any situation. 'Course, some things are better at x or y than other things; but having a great gaffer and 1AC there with you can get 'round the things which come up.

With a $200,000 budget, concerns for natural lighting conditions and operating freedom, it would have to be a 2-perf ARRICAM Lite in my opinion.

Hi guys just looking for a general consensus of what people think is best.

Just to be clear this isn't a FILM VS DIGITAL debate or which camera is best it's just which is most suited for this situation.

If you had a $200,000 budget and were making a independent feature film, Which camera would you go with

I would say the RED EPIC but my concern is the bulk of the film will be at night and some scene near total darkness,

I keep hearing that RED isn't too good in low light condition's also there will be lots of VFX. Allot will be run and gun style

Allot of real lighting condition's as real as possible. I love film and I think (correct me if im wrong) but it could be done on a budget around that

but there not to versatile with things like small spaces etc.

So im thinking either:

-RED EPIC

or

- Panavision millennium xl2

- ARRI 235 (for versatile scenes)

Love to hear thoughts on best camera for this situation

thanks guys, got some good info to think about, I Also think i should report the feature to email you when people respond stopped working on this forum after the first response, a bit weird just thought id inform someone.