Take photographs with Super 8

Guillaume Gaubert

Hi,

I wanted to know if there was a way of simply taking single photographs with a Super 8 camera.

I have a Canon 814 Auto Zoom and I know there is a way of doing this with the remote control which I don't have. Is there a way to replace it?

How can you then for example scan the film frame?

Thank you,

Guillaume

• Premium Member

I believe all you would need is a cable release. That will allow you to take one "photo" or frame at a time. Used to use that for stop-motion animation. You would certainly get alot of still images on one reel that way. But they can look very cool.

I've attached a still from some regular 8 I shot last month.

Trick will be scanning it to get a usable file size for prints. I guess you can cut up the film and scan with a transparency adapter on a flatbed scanner or even a drum scanner. Super 8 will give you large grain but no burn ins like the attached photo so if you're looking for something with that type of effect consider Regular 8mm where you are loading a 25ft reel and flipping it thus giving you more of a burn in chance.

Put it on single-frame (1,S, SP, SFon the dial). Then use the trigger as for filming. It will release only one frame.

Us a Kaccema or another refillable and you can use clips of S8 . You don't have to expose all 3800 frames before having it processed. :)