J.J Abrams and his lighting

Vincent Cheung

Hey im new and its pretty cool to be a member on here!! I recently bought a DSLR and just experimenting around as im sure im speaking for everyone that we have a love of film, so taking it to the next level is a logical step :) Anyone got any advice for a beginner? But i've always wondered how Abrams has got that streak of lighting in his films like in Star trek and super 8, is it just a combo of his lighting and camera(might be a silly qn)? Thanks!

VC

• Premium Member

It's a mixture of using Anamorphic Lenses ($$$$) as well as very well done post FXs ($$$), though it can also be done, to an extent with certain on camera filters ($$) or plugings for After Effects ($).

It's slightly cliche now-- almost like the "shaky hand held 'immediate'" camera oping which is slowly-- it seems-- to be fading.

And yes, it does come from the lighting as well as in order to get those streaks, you have to kick a light into the lens.

• Premium Member

Ben, how dare you devalue how important we camera people are! ;) You're probably right-- though having never done big FXs stuff, I honestly have no idea how much it would cost a post house to put a flare or two in a frame.