lighting for phantom

recently we shot some shots with phantom hd gold at 700fps.wat the guy came with phnatom saying is no light should be used under 5k,may b it is tungstun r hmi.but we r shooting day exteriors.wats the solution for this?

If you have a light that will actually do anything in the day time sun, you're fine. There's plenty of foot candles to go 700fps on a normal clear day.

You shouldn't use any light under 5k because the filament is small to the point that it doesn't hold the residual heat/glow from every hertz cycle of electricity going through it, so at very high speeds you will actually see it flicker with the electrical cycle.

Larger filaments retain the glow so that it will not be an issue.

I would not use HMIs with the Phanton. You can get get flicker and/or arc wander.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I would 2nd the above. That said, usually double ended HMIs (for example an 18k fresnel) with a flicker free ballast through some diffusion will be fine in terms of flicker. Especially if you are mixing it with sunlight. That said, HMIs are always hit or miss and when possible, tungsten 5k or bigger is desirable.

Kevin

If you can get your hands on them, Arri now makes ultra high frequency ballests that can be used with frame rates up to 5000fps. They go up to 4k last I checked but I have now clue about who has them and for what price. If you're shooting outdoors, I'd just use 4x4 hard mirrors.