a camera and a crop duster

Hey guys,

We're in the midst of a national campaign for a seed company down south. The bulk of the principle production is over and now, as the season progresses, we'll be running back out with a skeleton crew for more B-Roll. We have a day coming up that we're dedicating to getting beauty shots of a crop duster. My primary camera has been the Red One MX with Zeiss SS lenses with a second unit getting timelapse on a 5D mark ii. I want to stay as consistent as possible, but make sure that I'm being practical as well. We'd like to explore rigging options for said crop duster. Please note that these will not be intended for ariels, but rather to feature certain aspects of the crop duster itself. These will all be wide to super wide focal lengths... assume 18mm or less depending on the format I choose to shoot. For the sake of this conversation, please leave FAA regulations out of it. I'm interested in mounting options and in smaller compact cameras that have exceptional image quality. My concerns are shutter issues and severe vibration. We do not have the luxury of taking a wide array of cameras and running multiple tests. Should I even consider Go-Pros?

Your input is much appreciated,

-D

• 1 month later...

Have you considered the Toshiba IK-HD1? It is a small, split head camera (ice cube sized), but very good. No question it is of higher quality than a GoPro.

It is frequently mounted as a POV, uses C mount prime lenses and can be painted with great detail. It does puts out a 1080/60i signal through HD-SDI. I understand that may not be ideal--but I use mine frequently and run it through a converter to get a 24P or 30P signal. ESPN uses it converted to 720/60P for live broadcasts.

Pros: Very small and very capable. 4 oz camera head so mounting is very easy. 1920x1080 output. Very sensitive to light.

HD-SDI into your format of choice recorder. Paint-able image. Interchangeable prime Lenses.

Cons: Split head, finding a place for CCU depending on mount.

Smaller Sensor (3x 1/3 inch CCD).

Product link: http://www.toshibacameras.com/products/prod_detail_ikhd1.jsp