EPIC with photographic canon/zeiss lenses

mike geranios

Hello to you all,

I will perform for my first time with the RED EPIC next week....unfortunately we will use the ef mount with canon/zeiss photographic lenses..night interiors,club scenes,day exteriors is the forest.I am very curious about the combination of EPIC with that kind of lenses and how will be the final look.

I will have tests in the next days but also if it is possible I want your thoughts about it(tips,what to expect etc).

Thank you all

M

• 1 month later...

Don't worry too much about the look. If you used to work with cinematic lenses the handling with the still lenses could be the tricky part. But if you have the chance to get a smart mount even this should not be a problem. You can focus just by pressing on the lcd.

Cheers

Thomas.

• 5 weeks later...

If shooting 5k, all of your still glass will have a 1.3x crop. 4k is a 1.6x crop. Might be a good opportunity to try the Zeiss CP.2 primes in the EF mount. Pulling focus on still lenses can be very difficult and still lenses also have the fixed f stop increments. I guess it really all depends on the style that you are going for and if you will have amore run and run approach. Will you be working with mostly long lenses or going hand held with wide lenses. In my experience, still lenses can capture images that are just as sharp and gorgeous as some of the best cinema glass out there, but they just are not designed to be used in motion applications.