What's the most unlikely tool/thing you carry

Hey All,

I know there are a lot of threads about "what's your most important tool", "what don't you go to set without" etc,

But, I thought it'd be interesting to talk about what random tools or items you carry that happen to come in handy every so often.

I won't start because everything in my kit is pretty typical. I haven't had a stroke of genius yet...

And go!

ha, And I thought I was going to be cool and be the first to say something like gummy bears.

More practically, protein bars and 5 hour energy. Never crack the 5 hour energy (not sure if it even works for me really), but the protein bars always end up making an appearance.

Working (which isn't often) on commercials and larger features - there is always craft services making an effort to get food/hydration to the crew that otherwise can't get to the truck/tent.

Makes sense as you maintain a productive crew.

Mind you they're not going to be climbing up an EWP mast are they ;) - often find banana skins and apple cores flapping around the tool tray.

I usually have a bunch of weird things that I seem to collect and that remain in my tool pouch...

Actually the weirdest thing I carry is a diagram of street-lamp wiring, it's a sort of in-joke coming from my days as a gaffer when one rather outrageous DP insisted that since our generator was no where to be seen, we should wire in to a street-lamp and 'not tell anyone about it'...

I rather recklessly went over the post, switched it on and told him 'here is your key, now go f--- yourself', then I walked off the set. I picked up the actual diagram as a present from a friend working at the local electric company some months later.

Oh I have a set of the most useless screwdrivers in the world also, they're designed to work on a screw that hasn't been invented yet, I really must get around to inventing that screw when I have time..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Small LED work lights bought from hardware stores! I now have 4 of them. There battery powered and the ones I have cost 28 euros! Not Ideal by any means but with a bit of diffusion,CTO and Gaffer Tape you will be surprised.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I have a stick of Chapstick -- I borrowed it from an AC last year to blur the corners of a glass filter for a musical sequence in lieu of Vasoline, and it worked much better, more controllable -- I dabbed the sides of the filter with the Chapstick then used my finger to spread it around like a bunch of thumbprints blurring the edges. Still have it in my backpack and used it just a few weeks ago, for one shot to further blur a side of the frame that I was blurring with an acrylic block in the foreground, another time to blur some film equipment that was at the top of the frame during a fantasy musical sequence.

Which reminds me that we also carry two acrylic glass blocks, roughly 1" thick, 1'x1' squares with polished edges, to cause some blurred edges with light refractions as if shooting through some glass cabinet in the foreground, etc.

• Upvote 3