Hello everyone.

I created this topic because I need help to figure out which camera I should buy. I'm going to study cinema in two months, but I haven't decided yet which camera I should buy. Some friends of mine advice me to buy DSLR cameras, such as Canon 600D cheap and beginner, or any better camera I can buy (DSLR). My question is which path should I choose? Go for the DSLR or take a video camera such as SONY brand?

I would like to get some answers from people who understand about filming. I don't have any friend in filming industry who could advice me, I only have friends who are photographers.

Thank you, hoping for a reply!

I have the same question!, i went to the film school just 1 semester and leave because i didnt like the teachers there, and the equipment was very old but i should admit that learned a lot so i want to buy a cam to experiment with the ISO settings and lens, so i want to know if someone can recommend me something under 700$

Thanks

Edited by Pabl

I have the same question!, i went to the film school just 1 semester and leave because i didnt like the teachers there, and the equipment was very old but i should admit that learned a lot so i want to buy a cam to experiment with the ISO settings and lens, so i want to know if someone can recommend me something under 700$

Thanks

This forum requires a full name. Get a used canon 550D, or whatever Rebel-name it got.

Still waiting for a reply to my question, come on guys..

I don't understand why you would buy a camera because you start film school? Doesn't the film school have equipment you can borrow?`Because you are better off saving 1-2 grand for making good shortfilms than buying a camera and not having money to pay for anything.

Canon 600D is good, Panasonic GH2 is good too, but requires a hack to be better than the 600D, and the thing is since you are just starting out, you will probably not know how to utilize all the functions/extra quality of a hacked GH2...

This forum requires a full name. Get a used canon 550D, or whatever Rebel-name it got.

I don't understand why you would buy a camera because you start film school? Doesn't the film school have equipment you can borrow?`Because you are better off saving 1-2 grand for making good shortfilms than buying a camera and not having money to pay for anything.

Canon 600D is good, Panasonic GH2 is good too, but requires a hack to be better than the 600D, and the thing is since you are just starting out, you will probably not know how to utilize all the functions/extra quality of a hacked GH2...

Well, my point in my post is that I don't know which type or cameras they use for cinema. If they use DSLR cameras or video cameras..

• Premium Member

For cinema they use camera which easily cost in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars-- not counting the lenses and support equipment that go along with them.

Nothing wrong with buying a camera, if you can afford to loose the money-- but it is often a loosing investment. Even films with multi-million dollar budgets don't buy their cameras-- they rent them, because it's cheaper and it keeps them (you) from getting stuck with a piece of kit which goes obsolete.

That being said-- I have a soft spot for the 60D from Canon only because I use it on a web-series often (it's the directors.) I also like what I've seen from the FS100 and FS700 from Sony-- for the price.

There is the BMD Camera coming out soon-- which is very affordable, but there are some questions on lens coverage ect.

For cinema they use camera which easily cost in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars-- not counting the lenses and support equipment that go along with them.

Nothing wrong with buying a camera, if you can afford to loose the money-- but it is often a loosing investment. Even films with multi-million dollar budgets don't buy their cameras-- they rent them, because it's cheaper and it keeps them (you) from getting stuck with a piece of kit which goes obsolete.

That being said-- I have a soft spot for the 60D from Canon only because I use it on a web-series often (it's the directors.) I also like what I've seen from the FS100 and FS700 from Sony-- for the price.

There is the BMD Camera coming out soon-- which is very affordable, but there are some questions on lens coverage ect.

Well, I think these video cameras you named (FS100 and FS700) over priced for me at the moment. I'm not going to afford a camera which is over 1300€. Plus this is the first time that I'm going to experience and handle a video camera. You recommend me buying a 60D or something like it? For DSLRs I was wondering buying a 600D or the new 650D.. What do you think?