Sundance

C Kenneybrew

Call me small minded. But Ive noticed that Sundance Film Festival seems to have turned into a celebrity studded event. How can an independent film maker compete when name brand actors are starring in these films? It seems a little unfair. I would assume that the average filmmaker doesnt have the money to pay a famous actor to star in their film. Is there a secret to this that Im missing out on? What do you think?

• Premium Member

Call me small minded. But Ive noticed that Sundance Film Festival seems to have turned into a celebrity studded event. How can an independent film maker compete when name brand actors are starring in these films? It seems a little unfair. I would assume that the average filmmaker doesnt have the money to pay a famous actor to star in their film. Is there a secret to this that Im missing out on? What do you think?

I completely agree that it has turned into a small Hollywood. It's been like that for years. According to Redford, Sex, Lies and Videotape was the film that did it. Tribeca is pretty much the East Coast version of it.

But the good news is that there are plenty of other lesser known festivals out there that favor the truly independent filmmaker.