RC Helicopter

Andre Labous

I'm struggling the decision on what camera to put on RC helicopter for aerials. In your opinion is codec more important than field of view.

PMW-200 --3 1/2" cmos sensor. 422 50mbs. Wide is around 30mm (converted to 35mm) and with 0.6 wide angle adapter 18mm

FS-700 ----- super 35 field of view. codec AVCHD 420 . Slo mo capability. Wider lens options.

Scarlett------- whatever

5D------- h264. Blah

youre missing the most important piece of info... what is the max load capacity of the heli? i've worked with remote heli pilots and less weight is much preferred. i don't know if there is a nailed down formula, but i'd venture a guess that putting 1/2 or less of the max load into the heli is a good weigh to be at. though since you're label is RC Helicopter i'm sure you already have a handle on that ;)

im eyeing the pmw200 to replace my ex1, but not sure if its significant enough of an upgrade. you might want to look into the black magic cinema camera. has a form factor that i think will really fit helicams nicely. wider lenses are a bit rarer for it, but the tokina 11-16 or the sigma 8-16 should get you as wide as your heart desires. and it can record uncompressed at 2.5K or prores, or dnxhd, all onboard, no external recorder, for $3000. should be shipping this month, but rumors are large backorders

Edited by Darren Levine

I'm struggling the decision on what camera to put on RC helicopter for aerials. In your opinion is codec more important than field of view.

You should check on how legal your RC helicopter is, the FAA is currently looking at aerial work using these. Here are some associated documents

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachments/digital-video-industry-news/11328d1237266627-rc-aerials-illegal-says-faa-faa-order-8130.34.pdf

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachments/digital-video-industry-news/11329d1237266634-rc-aerials-illegal-says-faa-ua-operations-nas.pdf

Edited by Brian Drysdale