Scarlet Camera in a Film Noir Lighting Setting

Ian Choplick

I am getting ready to shoot a short film, which is to be in a low light- film noir lighting situation. I would like to see the blacks disperse to black, but keep the details in where I give it a little. Definitely gonna be on the low lights situation wide open. I am shooting on the Scarlet, with Cooke S4 lenses which are at a 2. I hear rating the camera at recommended 800ISO is the optimal performance for the chip. Just seeing if people had certain settings that helped them out, things to look for, etc.....

Thank you

Ian

While you may be going for a film noir look, that doesn't mean you should be underlighting things. In fact, you'll probably end up doing more lighting work than usual to get high contrast ratios and a noir styled look. With that being said, I would always shoot at ISO 800. I always light for RAW so I have maximum flexibility in post and the cleanest image to work with. Though you may be getting a "milky" or flat looking image in your monitor, you can always refer back to a picture style, or use a light meter to keep your ratios in check.