Shooting some old Short Ends...

So I have had some 35mm short ends sitting in a closet (I know, i know...should have kept it in the fridge) from collage for about 2 or 3 years now...and just remembered them. The creative devil inside deep down is telling me to shoot them and get some creative exposers. Has anyone ran into this situation and executed exposers on some old stocks. Extremely curious.

• Premium Member

So I have had some 35mm short ends sitting in a closet Has anyone ran into this situation and executed exposers on some old stocks. Extremely curious.

fridge is better... Film gets more fag, and lower sensitivity with age. My stash of 35mm cassettes of Double X still produce images but almost look Black when they come out of the process (This was a new roll bought back in 1986, which was not in the freezer all the time) Colour stocks will of course have colour drift.

such film may give you a foggy - dreamy - far away look. It is of course not predictable.

my experience with film (as long as it's not the Kodak 800T) is that 3 years in a closet will yield a pretty similar result as if it was stored in a fridge. Saturation if anything will fall off a bit. Of course that's only if your closet is not a hot box. ;)

You should be able to shoot the film, but may want to rate it at a slower speed. That was usually the recommendation from the manufacturer whenever I inquired about the possibility of purchasing out of date film for resale.

A closet is not the worst place for film as long as it was cool(for the whole 2 or 3 years that is). However, the higher speeds have a much shorter shelf life than the slower daylight stocks. 6 months to a year for the 5219 may be acceptable. If there are any labs around you (and that is rapdidly becoming a remote possibility for us all), you can have a can snip tested.

If you need any more film and don't want to spend a fortune, we've got some very fresh short ends of 5219 and other stocks. Some are as cheap as .05 cents per foot depending on stock and length.

Richard Kaufman

Comtel Pro Media

richard@comtelpm.com

818-450-1122