Highspeed & Light

Hello there boys and girls...

A question to those who have experience with highspeed cameras..

Im shooting a music video next week, most of it to be shot in 200fps (on the fs700)

Now, here's what i wanna do...

a 5KW as toplight and a few dino's on the background for the light show. I know the 5K is big enough to get rid of the flicker, but the dino's are 1K, theoretically they would cause flicker in my frame... on the other hand, they are pointed straight towards the camera, so we actually look into the light's housing that gives us a hot spot in frame. My question is whether i'll see flicker from the dino's in this situation? if so, i really wonder how to achieve flickerfree slow motion footage for a performance scene with a light show, only being able to use 5K's...

Thanks in advance

Artyom

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there boys and girls...

A question to those who have experience with highspeed cameras..

Im shooting a music video next week, most of it to be shot in 200fps (on the fs700)

Now, here's what i wanna do...

a 5KW as toplight and a few dino's on the background for the light show. I know the 5K is big enough to get rid of the flicker, but the dino's are 1K, theoretically they would cause flicker in my frame... on the other hand, they are pointed straight towards the camera, so we actually look into the light's housing that gives us a hot spot in frame. My question is whether i'll see flicker from the dino's in this situation? if so, i really wonder how to achieve flickerfree slow motion footage for a performance scene with a light show, only being able to use 5K's...

Thanks in advance

Artyom

Hi,

The 5k should be fine, your dinos might flicker as you say. But I would do a test, they might be good. Pointing the light directly into the lens will make the flicker even more visible, thats my guess.

A trick to work around flicker is to be sure to distribute your dinos equally on all three phases. I dont know how your dinos are wired, but if you have 4 bulbs (on a 12-light dino) on each phase they will flicker off-sync, and the light output will be "constant". Add a light diffusion to even it out and it works pretty good. Of course this will only help you with sources outside of the frame.

I dont think there is any solution to prevent flicker with lights in frame, unless you "go big" or use flickerfree hmi's.

-Henning H

Continuing what Henning Hoifodt said, If you get 3 lights of the same type and put one on each leg, you will not have flicker. So if you where going to use a 5k, maybe you would put 3 5ks/2ks side by side, and the dame thing with the dino. The phases should cancel themselves out, and it should be flicker free then.