Foggy Mirror Effect

This upcoming weekend I have a shoot for a short film that requires a shot from the POV of a mirror. The mirror needs to be steamy and the character wipes it with his hands and fixes his hair in it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this? My initial idea would be to put a piece of glass in front of the lens to act as my mirror. I'm just struggling with figuring out how to fog the glass independently from the rest of the room, I don't want to risk condensation in the lens and fogging the camera up. I'm open to ideas.

• Premium Member

what about fake spray snow-- though probably too white.

Or you can finely mist it with something from a spray bottle or the like-- experiment with different things, from water to something like water mixed with just a bit of oil of some form.

Another option would be to keep the glass very cold and bring it out right before you shoot- mount it, and then boom, it'll get condensation just from the atmosphere.

Also don't be too afraid of a moist room. Just cover the camera in some rain gear and go. A little bit of time in situations like that won't harm most things-- depending on what camera you're on.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You need to create a temperature difference. Cool the glass or steam it by placing a container with boiling water next to it.

If you want to repeat the effect make sure to dry the glass before steaming it again.

Hope that helps.