Feeling dizzy

Freya Black

Really feeling dizzy/lightheaded all day.

Have now drunk tons of water but it's not seeming to change things.

Semms to be getting slightly worse so I'm getting worried.

Do I need to be worried, it's slightly frightening.

Any suggestions for things that might make it go away??

love

Freya

• Premium Member

This seems more like a facebook question to me. Are you on facebook? If you are not, then let us know that and someone will probably respond.

You should take your blood pressure to see what it is at. If you are near an urgent care, you should just go. If you are not a member and don't have health insurance, the charge is usually a 100 dollar deposit that then is applied to the actual services that are given out. However, someone should probably drive you since you probably shouldn't be driving a car.

Were you or someone else to guess how to make you feel better, that could still be a bad thing since you never find out what was actually wrong.

There are too many causes of light headedness to be diagnosed by someone who is not a doctor and who doesn't already know something about you. You should probably do something instead of hoping the feeling passes, if you feel too shy to call an ambulance, then you MUST talk to a friend or family member who knows you so you can go over the options that work best for you.

Assuming you've been eating and drinking normally today, you should get medical advice. There are number of things that could cause this, so you should get checked over. If you're in the UK at least run this https://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/CheckSymptoms/SATs/DizzinessAndLightheadedness.aspx

Edited by Brian Drysdale

This seems more like a facebook question to me. Are you on facebook? If you are not, then let us know that and someone will probably respond.

Heh heh! That's probably exactly one of the reasons I'm not on facebook.

You should take your blood pressure to see what it is at.

Is it possible that could plummet for some reason? I went to my GP last few months, had a clean bill of health, blood pressure fine. I have some health probs but...I dunno. My health seemed like it was getting better, you know as my life gets better...

Just a bit nervous this second.

Mybe being silly.

Thnx 4 the reply. I'm not thinking quite straight and it has given me ideas for what I will do if it becomes a prob.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Freya,

I would definitely get checked out if I were you. I've been an Emergency Medical Technician for eight years and, as others have already stated, there is a number of different things that could cause dizziness.

Check your blood pressure and make sure the top number is reading at least 90 (if it's any lower, I would call the ambulance immediately.) Either way, you should get checked by a doctor ASAP. It can't hurt.

Sorry to post this publicly, but when I tried to send it as a PM, I got a message that said you can't receive any new messages.

Assuming you've been eating and drinking normally today, you should get medical advice. There are number of things that could cause this, so you should get checked over. If you're in the UK at least run this https://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/CheckSymptoms/SATs/DizzinessAndLightheadedness.aspx

That's awesome Brian. Thanks sooo much. Really appreciated.

...and yes I know it's a bit facebook and I totally apologise for that, just was frightened and not sure what to do and was about to post something else more fun but...

...and my hearing is going a bit whistley and my sight slightly log-c which I don't like at all.

Starting to feel a little better now tho.

Apologies again.

love

Freya

Freya,

I would definitely get checked out if I were you. I've been an Emergency Medical Technician for eight years and, as others have already stated, there is a number of different things that could cause dizziness.

Usually it's cause I havn't drunk enouh but I've put litre after litre in and it's not changing things.

Slept a LOT this morning too because I felt really, really tired, despite having had a great nights sleep I thought.

Really appreciate all the helpful stuff.

I know you may not understand because I'm not stupid but my thinking is not as clear as it might be.

So it's really helpful to have these suggestions.

love

Freya

I think seeing a doctor is sound advice. I won't give you medical advise because I am a grip not a doctor. If I had those symptoms and seeing a doctor was not an option I would probably take a close look at my diet. If I was a female I would take note of my menstruation cycle and where my dizziness fits into the cycle. Many women have a hard time keeping adequate levels of iron in their body; resulting in Anemia.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anemia/DS00321/DSECTION=symptoms

Be smart about your health.

Many women have a hard time keeping adequate levels of iron in their body; resulting in Anemia.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anemia/DS00321/DSECTION=symptoms

Be smart about your health.

That is actually a good call (and probably one my GP would never think of) as I have had a history of being mildly anemic in the past. Will get some iron vitamins ASAP too!

Thankyou.

love

Freya

That is actually a good call (and probably one my GP would never think of) as I have had a history of being mildly anemic in the past. Will get some iron vitamins ASAP too!

Thankyou.

love

Freya

Freya,

Please be careful taking iron vitamins. Taking too much iron can be deadly. Do not try and over compensate by taking more than the recommended dosage. A simple phone call to your GP may be in your best interest. Again, be smart with your health.

• Premium Member

There are drop in centres all over the place in the UK where you can get seen at a few minutes' notice. I probably use those more than I see my actual doctor, inasmuch as I see doctors that much at all. Maybe that's a low-stress option.

P

• Premium Member

Really feeling dizzy/lightheaded all day.

Have now drunk tons of water but it's not seeming to change things.

Semms to be getting slightly worse so I'm getting worried.

Do I need to be worried, it's slightly frightening.

Any suggestions for things that might make it go away??

love

Freya

It could just be a virus. There are flu-type viruses that don't actually produce flu-type symptoms, but produce dizziness and sometimes blurred vision. I had one myself earlier this year.

Definitely see a doctor though. However if it's nothing obvious (blood pressure etc), while you can have tests done, the doc will probably tell you that 9 times out of 10, the symptoms will disappear long before the test results come in. Which is why it is so hard to diagnose.

There are drop in centres all over the place in the UK where you can get seen at a few minutes' notice. I probably use those more than I see my actual doctor, inasmuch as I see doctors that much at all. Maybe that's a low-stress option.

P

Phil, this seems like another fantastic suggestion!

I'm feeling a lot better today so far but I'm intending to be doing a lot more work here in London which is miles away from my GP. The drop in centres could be a good way of keeping that part of my life covered. You wouldn't know if there is a list of those somewhere would you?

love

Freya

It could just be a virus. There are flu-type viruses that don't actually produce flu-type symptoms, but produce dizziness and sometimes blurred vision. I had one myself earlier this year.

I think you might be spot on as I'm getting lots better.

The NHS thing suggested it might also be a virus.

• Premium Member

P

We call then Urgent Care in the U.S.

I'm a bit nervous that Freya quoted the most bland part of my original message.

Freya, I have care taken for both of my parents and I have been in and out of Urgent Care's. emergency rooms, and stayed overnight on a cot when either was admitted to the hospital. Finding the Baseline condition is always the first thing that is done, finding what you might be deficient in helps move the process along correctly.

Finding a way to make the symptom disappear without consulting a doctor could mask the actual issue that needs assessing and addressing.

We call then Urgent Care in the U.S.

I think you might be thinking of what we call A&E (accident and emergency) which is a very grim place with long queues but might have been where I ended up, but I was alone and not in good enough condition for that to be honest.

Freya, I have care taken for both of my parents and I have been in and out of Urgent Care's. emergency rooms, and stayed overnight on a cot when either was admitted to the hospital. Finding the Baseline condition is always the first thing that is done, finding what you might be deficient in helps move the process along correctly.

Finding a way to make the symptom disappear without consulting a doctor could mask the actual issue that needs assessing and addressing.

Sadly I have very poor access to medical care presently.

Despite the scare on Saturday tho, I generally feel my health is getting a lot better as my life improves.

I do agree with what you say and my health has partly deteriorated because of not addressing problems in the past but there you go. I don't want to dwell on stuff like that.

Phil's posting is actually a very good lead as these are medical drop in centres where you can get seen by a nurse in a fairly straightforward way. I've found one a bit of a trek from here so it's useful, although I'm feeling loads better now.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Urgent Care is not as grim as going to the emergency room. The cool thing about urgent care in the U.S. is that if the doctors on duty find you have something that they think qualifies as an emergency, their pre-screening usually means one gets seen faster in the E.R.

So as long as the Urgent Care does not have mega long lines, it tends to be a safe way to get seen and then escalated if necessary. So you did, or did not go?

Urgent Care is not as grim as going to the emergency room. The cool thing about urgent care in the U.S. is that if the doctors on duty find you have something that they think qualifies as an emergency, their pre-screening usually means one gets seen faster in the E.R.

So as long as the Urgent Care does not have mega long lines, it tends to be a safe way to get seen and then escalated if necessary. So you did, or did not go?

I hope you won't be offended be being reminded of it, but the OP has made clear that she is in the UK so explaining the US system in detail isn't very helpful.

OP, you can go to see any GP if you need to, it doesn't have to be your own and you can register later. Or you can go to a health centre. Google for one. Best of luck.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Wow this thread is running and running! :)

I went with my friend and got the all clear at the medical centre.

I feel basically back to normal now! I just went for a nice walk to the park in fact and saw many bats! :)

I want to say a big THANKYOU to everyone who posted advice in this thread. It was all really good and helpful advice. At the time of posting I wasn't able to think clearly at all and the best I could cope with was to type dizzy into google. I was really at that point before blacking out where everything goes whistley and log-c and I've never experienced that before without passing out! When you are dizzy like that it's not really easy to think in a sensible or coherant manner.

The advice I recieved did help me as it caused me to lie down. Till then I was stupidly still sitting at a desk trying to work which was probably the worst possible thing to be doing. I could have passed out and hurt myself maybe.

I apologise for posting this stuff on here. It's rather unrelated to cinematography but I was in trouble and alone and quite frightened, no matter how much I was toning that down. It may seem slightly dramatic but I think it differs a lot from the facebook thing as I was looking for real help and not sympathy. I did receive EXCELLENT advice at a time I could barely think too!

It has made me rethink a lot of things and I'm going to try and make sure I have phone numbers for friends I can contact in an emergency.

Thanks again to everyone here! I do feel the suggestions here really made a difference and helped me at a time I was struggling and in trouble!

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Wow this thread is running and running! :)

I went with my friend and got the all clear at the medical centre.

I feel basically back to normal now! I just went for a nice walk to the park in fact and saw many bats! :)

I want to say a big THANKYOU to everyone who posted advice in this thread. It was all really good and helpful advice. At the time of posting I wasn't able to think clearly at all and the best I could cope with was to type dizzy into google. I was really at that point before blacking out where everything goes whistley and log-c and I've never experienced that before without passing out! When you are dizzy like that it's not really easy to think in a sensible or coherant manner.

The advice I recieved did help me as it caused me to lie down. Till then I was stupidly still sitting at a desk trying to work which was probably the worst possible thing to be doing. I could have passed out and hurt myself maybe.

I apologise for posting this stuff on here. It's rather unrelated to cinematography but I was in trouble and alone and quite frightened, no matter how much I was toning that down. It may seem slightly dramatic but I think it differs a lot from the facebook thing as I was looking for real help and not sympathy. I did receive EXCELLENT advice at a time I could barely think too!

It has made me rethink a lot of things and I'm going to try and make sure I have phone numbers for friends I can contact in an emergency.

Thanks again to everyone here! I do feel the suggestions here really made a difference and helped me at a time I was struggling and in trouble!

love

Freya

Anytime, Freya. We're just glad you are feeling better. We are always here if you need us. :)