Here's my film on underwater hockey...

Jesse Andrewartha

Storyboarded, shot and edited over the course of four months from April to July. Here are some details:

Camera: Bolex H8 RX4 with ESM motor crystal sync, lens: 5.5mm Switar, 24fps

Underwater housing: Bolex

Film: R8 Tri-X and 100D.

Processing: Niagara Labs

Telecine: John Gledhill, Bitworks Inc.

NLE: Kdenlive (a bit buggy, but it handles sequential jpegs so much better than FCPX)

Enjoy and let me know if you have any comments, criticism or suggestions for the future... thanks!

5 SECONDS: ADVENTURES IN UNDERWATER HOCKEY

• Premium Member

I would have liked to have seen a goal scored at the very end of the video to match the voice over scripting.

Not too important question about the alarm clock and avoiding wasting film. Did you just shoot 5:59, stop the camera, and start again at 6:00, or did you time the clock and around 5:59 and 55 seconds start filming? Did a shot like that freak you out because you did not want to waste film but suddenly you were?

I'm a big fan of not crushing any part of the super-8 or regular 8 image because that will usually happen when one posts online. Do you feel you got all of the image that was there?

And a comment now. You achieved my number one rule of super-8 filmmaking, you created a solid, sustained, sound track that then allows you to add images over as you see fit. Good job.

It might have been funny to add a line about "there are no concussions in underwater hockey, at least not ones that last very long".

I would have liked to have seen a goal scored at the very end of the video to match the voice over scripting.

Hmm, I don't agree... I like the idea that it's open.

Not too important question about the alarm clock and avoiding wasting film. Did you just shoot 5:59, stop the camera, and start again at 6:00, or did you time the clock and around 5:59 and 55 seconds start filming? Did a shot like that freak you out because you did not want to waste film but suddenly you were?

No freaking out... I storyboarded it this way and so was absolutely planned. I see your point that it could be really tightened up and that there's unnecessary footage in that shot.

I'm a big fan of not crushing any part of the super-8 or regular 8 image because that will usually >

happen when one posts online. Do you feel you got all of the image that was there?

Noted. Simply put, my metering was poor; I was aiming for a deadline and by the time film was processed, telecined and returned, there was no time left to reshoot. Had to make do with what was there. Alot learned about my technique.

And a comment now. You achieved my number one rule of super-8 filmmaking, you created a solid, sustained, sound track that then allows you to add images over as you see fit. Good job.

Thanks, but I can't take the credit for the music. The original score was done by the band 'Thailand' for this film. He did a wonderful job... and in 48 hours! tuneinthailand dot blogspot dot com

It might have been funny to add a line about "there are no concussions in underwater hockey, at least not ones that last very long".

ha! Well, that wouldn't make it sound very appealing :)

Thanks for your input... I really appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

Really enjoyed this film. Question though, I've never heard of this camera. So is your Bolex H8 RX4 a mod that takes 16mm film but the gate is modified to mimic the 8mm frame? Or am I mistaken (I ask because the only place I know that sells r8 doesn't package the film stock you used)? Also, was the film cut at Niagara labs?

Edited by Royce Marcus