PL ADAPTER, C-MOUNT LENS

Guest Modesta

You'd need to be careful about the whole adapter/lens assembly hitting the mirror shutter on film cameras. I wouldn't consider using it on any PL mount film camera unless it's designed to take C mount lens eg a Bolex.

It might be less of an issue on digital cameras without a shutter.

Hi there-

A c-mount's ffd is 17.52mm, a PL is 52mm, so even with the 8mm set-in described in the (somewhat misleading) ad, a c-mount lens would still be sitting way too far out from the film plane to get infinity focus. It would be fine for extreme macro shots of bugs, I guess...

• Premium Member

Hi there-

A c-mount's ffd is 17.52mm, a PL is 52mm, so even with the 8mm set-in described in the (somewhat misleading) ad, a c-mount lens would still be sitting way too far out from the film plane to get infinity focus. It would be fine for extreme macro shots of bugs, I guess...

Exactly, it's like having a 2.5cm macro extension tube on your C-mounts. A 50mm lens set to infinity wouldn't focus more than a foot away even stopped right down. You'd get a bit further with a really long telephoto, but basically this adapter is junk.

To properly function the C-mount seat needs to be about 34.5mm inside the PL flange, which would make it very hard to reach in and adjust focus or iris scales on a lot of C-mounts, and more crucially would hit the mirror on most film cameras. I imagine the reason these clowns made their "adapter" only 8mm deep is to avoid any liability for smashed mirrors. The seller is happy to say it can be used on 16mm cameras, but when asked whether infinity focus is possible, cheerfully replies: "Could be, however I have not tested them myself." LIAR!