Any working/pro DP's here worked with 2perf?

Vincent Sweeney

• Premium Member

If so, can you PM me? We can talk about it in this thread if you prefer as well. I'm looking for real world experience (esp. with the Penelope) and need a blunt review on practicality/reliability, hairs, etc. concerning it's use on a feature.

Its a great format, great affordable way of shooting 35mm affordable for a 2.35 ratio ONLY.

1000' magazines run for over 20 mins!

Hair in the gate and particularly grit in the gate is something you have to be on top off. Its probably worth having the gate cleaned after every good take, because gunk may build up.

Bright objects on the edge of the top and bottom of frame can bleed into the frame above/below like with 16mm, its subtle problem, considerably less than a rolling shutter but its worth being aware of.

Best of luck.

• Premium Member

If so, can you PM me? We can talk about it in this thread if you prefer as well. I'm looking for real world experience (esp. with the Penelope) and need a blunt review on practicality/reliability, hairs, etc. concerning it's use on a feature.

Hi Vincent! I worked with the 2 perf Penelopi on its first movie here in the United States. I prepped it out of Abel Cine Tech in NYC for "THE FIGHTER". I would imagine that there have been improvements on the Aaton system but based on my experience, the camera was just fair. The viewing system was stigmatic, the camera was very loud and the video tap was a bit dull. The interface was fussy when compared to other 35mm cameras but not too bad after getting used to it. Having said this, we put the 3 Penelopies we had through the fire and they performed well.

As far as the 2 perf is concerned, hairs are an everyday concern. They are unavoidable. From a budget perspective, it's a budget saver and along with the DI, the image is very good. 2 perf is a great argument in defense of film when others want to go down the digital road with regard to cost.

Best,

Greg