The end times...

Freya Black

So if you weren't weirded enough by the fuji rumour/gossip, I can add that "RED" have announced a monochrome version of the epic camera!

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?85214-EPIC-M-Monochrome

There it is...

Not sure what to say about the Fuji thing beyond the fact that there have been a lot of totally made up rumours surrounding Kodak the last few years, I'm also reminded of the Tony Scott news reporting where what seemed true was false and what seemed false was true.

Ironically news seems to travel more slowly in the digital age than before, the standards of journalism tend to be so low now that it takes days for "reality" to establish itself above rumour.

Beyond that I can recommend glacier fruits. They definitely help.

love

Freya

Deadline is reporting that Fuji intends to be out of the MP film game by the end of the year.

Story here

Fuji aren't confirming or denying.

I liked the idea of the Leica, and this in principle is kinda cool. But eesh. $42k. You'd have to be pretty sure that you want to shoot a lot in B&W haha

When is someone going to come out with a body that you can easily swap the sensors out? I feel like that would make more sense...

Yes very reliable , Fuji arnt going to say anything for a few weeks .

Ouch! If kodak were smart they would be making a few phone calls right now!

Of course Kodak don't have a history of being smart.

Guess we will see what happens.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

I don’t care. We’ll be gone in December, remember Maya calendar.

Ah yes, the Mayan shamans, who supposedly predicted the end of the world in 2012 but completely failed to predict the total collapse of their own civilization.

(They actually made no such prediction according to their university-educated descendants; the 2012 ending is more like a stone age version of the Y2K bug) :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

Yes very reliable , Fuji arnt going to say anything for a few weeks .

Yes, but are they simply going to shut down the film plant, or are they going to sell it? There's a world of difference.

I'd be damned surprised if they couldn't find someone in China interested in taking it over.

I was so stunned by this yes it made me feel sick ! So stunned that Fuji are giving up being using their stocks for so many years cant remember last time i touched Eastman Kodak !! . Very very sad .

I was also, very , very shocked. For me it isn't just about the loss of the film stocks but I had a very good experience with Fuji as a company! In particular Jerry was really, really helpful and made an effort to be friendly. Was VERY impressed. These days I pay a lot of attention to people and ask myself "Is this someone I can work with?" In the case of Jerry and Fuji the answer was always definitely YES!

It was a big contrast with other companies who might be disinterested unless you were a huge affair of some kind. A bit like the government in the UK who are also only interested in BIG business.

I'm sad that Fuji didn't just slash back on it's neg stocks. If they had just kept say Vivid 160T and maybe a 500T stock, or even just the 160T, I'm sure they would continue to be popular. I think it's just that they don't see a future in the format which is a self fufilling prophecy really.

I think that Fuji were ironically doing all the right things. As Phil suggested once, maybe it was a bit too little too late but they were on the right track.

love

Freya

I was also, very , very shocked. For me it isn't just about the loss of the film stocks but I had a very good experience with Fuji as a company! In particular Jerry was really, really helpful and made an effort to be friendly. Was VERY impressed. These days I pay a lot of attention to people and ask myself "Is this someone I can work with?" In the case of Jerry and Fuji the answer was always definitely YES!

I'm sad that Fuji didn't just slash back on it's neg stocks. If they had just kept say Vivid 160T and maybe a 500T stock, or even just the 160T, I'm sure they would continue to be popular. I think it's just that they don't see a future in the format which is a self fufilling prophecy really.

I quite agree on both of these points.

The London Team have always demonstrated a most welcome level of friendliness and support whenever I have been in contact with them.

One wonders whether even now Fuji might be willing to consider maintaining a rationalised range, accompanied by increased prices if necessary.

Only this week, I ordered and received a modest supply of 16mm film, and responded to the email informing me when it was to be delivered with a message asking them to feed back to Fuji headquarters that many of us want to be able to continue to buy Fuji film.

Is there nothing we can do to demonstrate that we want them to continue, with a rationalised product range if necessary?

I guess this confirms it?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059128

Fuji to stop production of film stock

Company to continue to produce Eterna-RDS archive film

By Mark Schilling

TOKYO -- Fuji Film has revealed that it will stop production of film stock for theatrical pics by the spring of 2013.

Fuji, which has been making film stock since its founding in 1934, is now taking last orders for its only plant making the product in Minami Ashigara, Kanagawa Prefecture.

Fuji will continue to produce its Eterna-RDS archive film for film preservation work, however, while halting production of film stock used for shooting, editing and screening pics.

The three biggest makers of film stock globally are Eastman Kodak with a 55% share, followed by Fuji with 35% and Agfa with 10%. From 2007 to 2011, however, worldwide demand fell 70%.

Contact the Variety newsroom at news@variety.com

Guest Jeremy Hunt

I am utterly devastated by the news from Fuji, more so that I would have imagined. Mostly because I would have believed that eventually Kodak would disappear or implode, but at least there was always Fuji around. I always imagined that in the future I would make things on film, it is the feel of the medium that is so perfect for storytelling, the warmth and the density of the image that leads you to the emotional crux of the story.

It depresses me when someone like Roger Deakins can so easily cast it away, when people say its just one capture medium, movies are an art form! And everything counts towards that final image. After looking at cml and other internet sources, I find it some what sad that there isn't more outrage, emotion over what is clearly the first ring of the death rattle. I find it hard to believe, that in an industry with so much money, and such an interconnected international community, that one bright spark can think of a way of keeping film alive? The old men are into 3d, smaller digital cameras, what ever gimmicky technical novelty, but I have yet to meet someone of my generation that felt that way. Would you take away Mozarts piano? Picassos Canvas? I cant think of another medium where the choice of paint was in anyway limited, how sad. I don't like to rant normally, but what else can be done?