Director looking to produce own feature

Hello all,

I hope to find some sound advice on how to produce an independent feature.

I come from editing (done some TV work and one feature as an AE) and have been directing music videos for a little over a year. I am now working on my first feature with a co-writer.

Like many other directors, I basically don't care for all the paperwork. I want to bring my story and vision to the screen, and not be bothered by the how or the when.

But being a complete unknown, I know my chances are very slim (let's be honest, zero) to get my story into the hands of an able producer who will want to get it produced.

I am now considering self-producing this feature as an indie, low-budget flick, and I hope that this thread can be used as a resource for all filmmakers out there who are facing the same situation.

So here it goes :

- Where do you start? I guess you'd budget the project first, right? But once it is done, how exactly do you round up your cast and crew if you're not sure yet how much you're going to be able to pay them? Do you just tell them to wait and see?

- What doors should you knock on to get fundings? TV channels come to mind of course, but then again, will they open their doors to a nobody? Unlikely. And if they did, what do you show them? Production notes? The script?

- How difficult is the legal part of the production process? I only have beginner's notions of all the image rights issues, but other than that, I am a total "noob" and at a loss to know what issues to address with my cast and crew, and people lending equipment, locations, etc. What should I be wary of? What are the big no-nos and the must-dos in that regard?

I know I'm basically asking for a Production 101 here, but what I'm really interested in is the very basics of what to do, and especially what NOT to do, what not to forget when doing prep work on a feature.

For the record, I am trying to get this feature made and produced in Ireland. And yes, I know that "Irish Film industry" is almost a science fiction term, but I figure my chances are as low there as anywhere else anyway, so why not try it?

Even if this film has to be shot without a budget to speak of, and end up as a YouTube movie, I WILL make it happen.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Edited by Nicolas Courdouan

• 6 months later...

Well, for starters you say you want to "Produce your own film" and then further in you say "ike many other directors, I basically don't care for all the paperwork". Sorry, but these two lines do not belong in the same topic. If you don't want to worry about the paperwork, then please hire or work with an interested producer who will help you on these things. If you skimp on the paperwork and you have a hit on your hands, all sorts of lawsuits can arise.

My advice is find a Producer. They will worry about the paperwork for you.

• 4 months later...

You misunderstand me. When I say "I don't care about the paperwork", I simply mean that doing paperwork is a chore to me. I don't mean that I'm determined to avoid doing it.

I think I made it pretty clear in my message that I am willing to do this thing by the book. Which means I will be worrying about the paperwork, amongst other things...

For the record, I am trying to get this feature made and produced in Ireland. And yes, I know that "Irish Film industry" is almost a science fiction term, but I figure my chances are as low there as anywhere else anyway, so why not try it?

There are long established structures in Ireland for making feature films. Quite a few very low budget features have been made in Ireland over the years and there are short courses for people wanting to learn production skills. Organisations like Film Base are a good starting point for making contacts and checking courses..

The Irish Film Board does back productions. although they'd want a producer in place for a feature film. They also have a number of very good short film schemes.

Hello Brian, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am familiar with Film Base and the IFB and since my original message I've made some progress on this front. I am now in the process of writing two shorts, one of them I will direct, before I can get back to trying and getting this feature made.

Thanks again for the tips.