Camera Rig on Ice

Jonathan Dube

Hey guys!

We're about to shoot a commercial on a hockey ice. Lot of action, fast movements/travelings, camera on shoulder..

Just want to know if you have any pictures of something that could be usefull to put our DP on and get a steady shot (I'm gonna be in skates tu push him around)

Thanks

Jon

Vic Kemper had a rig on Slap Shot that was pretty cool. It was like a hostess tray or a table on skate blades. It was connected to speed rail handles that resembled a lawnmower and it was pushed by a grip in pink figure skates. (JK) I think there is a pic in a back issue of AMerican Cinematographer.

• 3 weeks later...

I would make special skate things for a dolly. I don't know if you have the budget for a dolly or not. Pneumatic tires on the dolly should work nice on a rink. Depending on the speed I wouldn't put the grip on skates, but rather some nice boots with some yaktraxs. If you are under a tight budget, here's something I rigged up for a speedskating piece where we needed the camera low to the ice. I dished plexiglass with a heat gun to make mini saucer sleds to slide over the ice, it worked really well. After this photo, I added a longer cable for the camera and a t-bar for easier pushing.

photo-5.jpg

I would make special skate things for a dolly. I don't know if you have the budget for a dolly or not. Pneumatic tires on the dolly should work nice on a rink. Depending on the speed I wouldn't put the grip on skates, but rather some nice boots with some yaktraxs. If you are under a tight budget, here's something I rigged up for a speedskating piece where we needed the camera low to the ice. I dished plexiglass with a heat gun to make mini saucer sleds to slide over the ice, it worked really well. After this photo, I added a longer cable for the camera and a t-bar for easier pushing.

photo-5.jpg

Love it !! :)

Battery is doing it's thing...

The batteries last just fine, little shorter run time, but not bad. You just keep spare batteries inside your jacket next to your body. I haven't really run into battery issues until around negative 20 degrees, at that point the LCD is more of a concern and you start getting the cold weather bags with heat pads.

It might be too much for what you need but Fisher does make "ice wheels" for there fisher dolly's. I have used them when I was doing a show back east and we where on ice. As for how we pushed the dolly we found some boots for glacer climbing that had small rubber knobs on them that gave us a pretty good grip on the ice.