5.65 filter coverage

Greetings all,

Just purchased some Schneider 5.65x5.65 NDs (6,9,1.2) for a really good price ($300). The filters are in great shape, barely used if at all and so far I am very happy with them. They are easier to handle than the larger 6 inch filters and are quite a bit cheaper even at retail price.

I knew when purchasing them that they were not a common size and that I would have to buy my own filter trays and that I could only use them in the larger matte boxes. To solve that I am ordering a Bright Tangerine with a 5.65 cartridge with various trays (to accommodate my 4x4s and 4x5.65s).

My question is as follows; has anyone experienced limitations regarding these filters as far as sensor size, anamorphic or wide angle coverage goes? A fellow puller seemed very skeptical as to why I would get these filters saying that they had limited coverage. I find that hard to believe as I have been in very few situations that 4x5.65 filters wouldn't cover. Is an inch less all around going to make these filters any less viable than the 6 inch filters? If it covers the lens then it shouldn't be an issue right?

My coworker spent a mint on his set of 6.6 filters and I think he may just be trying to degrade the value of my purchase. Cheeky bugger.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Cheers,

Jacob

• 1 month later...

I like to stick to 4x5.65" filters as much as I can. They're lighter and easier to handle and they'll cover any lens 14mm and above in a 3-stage LMB-15.

The only time I use 6x6" is when I have wider lenses than a 14mm or have a zoom that needs it to cover (like a 12:1 Optimo). When I have those lenses I try to pursuade the production to get a duplicate set of filters in each size, but often producers don't see the point in this and just get a full set of 6x6" filters which is annoying when you only have one lens in a 13 lens package that requires it...