Shooting 3 perf 35mm

I am a cinematography student in California and will be shooting my thesis film in Nov. I am considering shooting my film 3 perf 35mm to save on film costs. Will shooting 3 perf require shooting with a special camera or will any 35mm camera do?

I guess my question is how does one shoot 3 perf?

-Thank you

Plenty of 3 perf camera's around, just specify it with the rental house. Be aware that not only will making a release print be impractical, you won't even get a real lab report on your negative; you won't be able to check the image until it's transferred to video. (All the projectors are 4 perf.) Also, you have to be a little more vigilant about hairs in the gate because there's less room for error.

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of 3 perf camera's around, just specify it with the rental house. Be aware that not only will making a release print be impractical, you won't even get a real lab report on your negative; you won't be able to check the image until it's transferred to video. (All the projectors are 4 perf.) Also, you have to be a little more vigilant about hairs in the gate because there's less room for error.

Couldn't he just have it scanned on an Arri film scanner for DI and then print back if needed? Just curious...3 Perf always seamed cool to me but people seam to avoid it like the plague because its harder to work with...seams like a good choice...Same with 2 perf...Saves film stock doesn't!?

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late to this, but we've been getting a lot of requests for "3-perf" film stock. I have to inform them that the all film is the same and its the camera that performs the 3-perf function. So, the comments on this topic have been useful.

3-perf and 2-perf are great ways to reduce cost and make it possible to use film stock on a shoot. Another great combination with those formats is to buy recans or short ends. We've got a few productions going on right now on ends. Using half the film and paying less than half the price for film stock will hopefully keep film around a little longer.

Richard Kaufman

Comtel Pro Media

tel: 818-450-1122

richard@comtelpm.com