Lincoln (Janusz Kaminski)

Kodak the printer-brand? The digicam-brand? You're right, but not the film-division. They have a pretty modern and productive facility in Rochester, they're profitable, they have unique know-how that can be diversified for non-photographic applications, they have the best negative-films on the market and they're propably cheap to buy, too... All they need is a solid long-term investor.

Come on, Mr. Spielberg, Nolan, Bay...

But thats OT...

• Premium Member

That is a trailer that screams just how good film is! Except there are trailers with digital acquisition that look just as good.

This is the dilemma we are facing I'm afraid.

So why I am able to see one (film) as being better than the other (digital)?

• Premium Member

i don't know Bill I can't answer that question. The trailer of Lincoln looked fantastic but so does this one.

For me, digital still hasn't managed to capture the soft, textural qualities of film. The range in the shadows and highlights in film are still far superior in my opinion. I've been told I have a good eye, so I guess that's part of it. But the sense of depth and warmth are still where film conquers all other formats.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow. Great movie. Excellent cinematography and acting. Regarding the cinematography, Janusz created some beautiful imagery. I liked how he purposely avoided using eyelight for several scenes. It gave Lincoln an almost archtypical resonance. I read both the ICG and ASC magazine articles about the film. ICG says Janusz used the Panavision Super Speed lenses and ASC misquotes and says he used Zeis Super Speed Lenses.

The opening scene where Lincoln visits the Union troops near the field of combat has a transcendental quality. There is baklit rain falling in the background and the somewhat hard light on his face. You can't see his eyes, but you FEEL the performance. A GREAT choice, indeed. I also like the daring use of high contrast ratios in scenes involving the shadowy behind -the-scenes politcial work. Good Stuff!!