Overhead lighting - Practical location

Gregory Earls

Hey folks,

I'm shooting in an working office, and I want to light the actors from above with Par Cans, which are relatively light units. There are neither pipes nor beams in the ceiling, so I would like to screw three wall plates with studs into the ceiling, and hang the Pars from them. However I'm not sure yet if the owner is going to let me drill.

As an alternative, I was thinking about a wall spreader or a Matthpole, and hang the Pars from them with clamps, but the walls are about 23 feet apart, which, I think is too long for either.

What other options do I have, if any?

Thanks!

Greg

Edited by Gregory Earls

Hey folks,

I'm shooting in an working office, and I want to light the actors from above with Par Cans, which are relatively light units. There are neither pipes nor beams in the ceiling, so I would like to screw three wall plates with studs into the ceiling, and hang the Pars from them. However I'm not sure yet if the owner is going to let me drill.

As an alternative, I was thinking about a wall spreader or a Matthpole, and hang the Pars from them with clamps, but the walls are about 23 feet apart, which, I think is too long for either.

Thanks!

Greg

If your widest shot is not too wide, you could try using a speedrail goalpost to hang lamps from.

if your in an office odds say there are ceiling titles so you can try these clamps http://www.filmtools.com/matscisclamw.html. aka scissor clips they can hold a par can with no problem. Then other option is to remove the ceiling titles and see whats above. lots of times there are cross beams or places to mount lights.

Hey folks,

Thanks!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, folks! I actually ended up getting permission to drill into the ceiling. Here's a look at the set up...

EOLshot1.jpg

Hope you folks dig it.

Peace,

G.

Hey folks,

Thanks!

Greg

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...