Film stock selection

• Premium Member

There are a lot of ways, with film, to get towards a similar result. You can use, for example, a lot of filtration on the lens to mute and soften things, in conjunction with flashing (if you wanna really go a bit mad), but in truth, your production design will dictate how it looks, along with your lighting, far more than just the film stock.

While it is true that some fuji stocks are notable more pastel than their kodak counterparts, I don't think you would have too much trouble arriving at something pleasing regardless of which company's offerings you go towards. For Fuji, I'd look @ the Eterna 400T personally if you wanted to go that way.

Fuji discontinued the 400 last year I thought, but may be special ordered not sure. Kodak 5229 would be perfect for the look you're trying to get, but Kodak discontinued that stock last year - however I think you can special order it.

are you sure, I ordered some in January, although that might be left overs. It is a great stock.

Eterna400T and Reala500D are no longer manufactured. The stocks that remain are sold at a reduced price but at customers risk. I had one customer who traveled to China for a shoot, someone else had to bring 10 rolls of 250T to China to replace the 400T that proved no longer suitable. Better to check the stock before you shoot or travel. Our local Fuji rep will only sell the stock if the customer knows what he is getting.

I have the majority of the shoot taking place in Day EXT. With a few DAY INT; apartment, cafe, library. Ideally I would like to shoot the entire film on one filmstock. If I were to shoot the entire show on 400T I would have to utilize an 85 filter for the Day EXT shoots. How many stops will I loose? Just trying to understand percisely the effects of shooting a 400T stock in daylight.