Against The Wild

Well just 48 hours to go before I start shooting Against The Wild. My family/action/adventure/animal "epic."

The movie is about two kids who survive in the wilderness after a plane crash with the help of their trusty Alaskan Malamute. The movie stars CJ Adams, who played the title character in The Odd Life Of Timothy Green, and Natasha Henstridge.

The movie also stars a grizzly bear, wolves, moose, raccoon, & assorted chipmunks and squirrels.

This time I'm also the screenwriter, so this should be interesting.

No it is not 35mm, this time I'm on the Alexa. Time to give digital a try, even though film is still my first choice. However, the EPK is being shot on film, more on that later.

Stay tuned forum brothers, lot's of exciting pics to come!

R,

• Premium Member

Well just 48 hours to go before I start shooting Against The Wild. My family/action/adventure/animal "epic."

The movie is about two kids who survive in the wilderness after a plane crash with the help of their trusty Alaskan Malamute. The movie stars CJ Adams, who played the title character in The Odd Life Of Timothy Green, and Natasha Henstridge.

The movie also stars a grizzly bear, wolves, moose, raccoon, & assorted chipmunks and squirrels.

This time I'm also the screenwriter, so this should be interesting.

No it is not 35mm, this time I'm on the Alexa. Time to give digital a try, even though film is still my first choice. However, the EPK is being shot on film, more on that later.

Stay tuned forum brothers, lot's of exciting pics to come!

R,

Good luck and have fun, Richard!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm having my challenges on set. Here I am reviewing the bears contract with him, and you can see his reaction. The lawyers are trying to sort it out.

R,

post-4653-0-15826500-1349629655.jpg

Well I'm having my challenges on set. Here I am reviewing the bears contract with him, and you can see his reaction. The lawyers are trying to sort it out.

R,

Are you okay Richard? Starting to worry you might have been eaten by bears!

Are there wolves or any other cannines in this film by any chance? :)

love

Freya

Even DOP (and forum member) Steve Whitehead gets in on the fun!

Steve went from 1st AC on my first feature, to 2nd unit DOP on my second feature, to main unit DOP on my third feature. Good for you Steve!

R,

post-4653-0-13804900-1351484311.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some frame grabs from my timeline as I chop my way hour after hour through the edit. These are all right out of the Alexa.

Nice Owls! :) You are there with the trends again Richard!!!

So are you shooting to pro-res or Arri-Raw?

Also was hoping to hear more about how the shoot actually went, other than the bears and the wolves and all! :)

love

Freya

Nice Owls! :) You are there with the trends again Richard!!!

So are you shooting to pro-res or Arri-Raw?

Also was hoping to hear more about how the shoot actually went, other than the bears and the wolves and all! :)

love

Freya

Overall the shoot went very well. There were no major cost overruns, or delays, and most importantly for me....no member of the cast or crew was injured. And we were dealing with rough terrain on an almost daily basis, and a lot of gear had to be hauled into some very tough spots.

R,

What kind of a slider is it? Did you need a heavy duty one to support the Alexa?

I guess it saves time on laying track out in the woods?

love

Freya

One of the most common phrases heard on set....."that slider is saving our a--es!" Gave the movie a big budget feel and takes minutes to set up!

R,

• Premium Member

R,

One of the most common phrases heard on set....."that slider is saving our a--es!" Gave the movie a big budget feel and takes minutes to set up!

R,

Up there with "Thank God this isn't a Red shoot"? B)

Just on the basis of the owl and bear images alone, plus the fact that it's shot with an Alexa, fully convinces me of the excellence of the production. Do you appear in it anywhere?

Hang on; I'll just go and copy some sycophantic posts from Reduser. I'll do a search and replace: "Jim" > "Richard, and nobody will know the difference...

Do you appear in it anywhere?

Ha! No. I am not an ACTRA (CDN actors union) member. I always follow ACTRA rules to the letter and would never think of violating them. No not me, not ever.

R,

R,

This sounds very good! :)

First time I've seen a camera that big mounted on a slider!

What make/model is it? I assume you needed something special to deal with the weight?

love

Freya

This sounds very good! :)

First time I've seen a camera that big mounted on a slider!

What make/model is it? I assume you needed something special to deal with the weight?

love

Freya

No idea sorry. I always thought they could handle pretty big loads, I had the 535 on the same model for The Dogfather,

We need DOP Steve Whitehead to answer these questions for us. But alas, I fear he's too big for this forum now.

R,

• Premium Member

We need DOP Steve Whitehead to answer these questions for us. But alas, I fear he's too big for this forum now.

R,

I suppose it's only a matter of time until that happens to you :P

By the way, I'm sure I'm not alone when I state that those of us here who have had absolutely zero involvement with your projects, have offered you no advice apart from amateurish inanities, and have basically done nothing whatsoever to add any value to your undertakings, would just like to say how proud we are of your efforts :wub:

I suppose it's only a matter of time until that happens to you :P

By the way, I'm sure I'm not alone when I state that those of us here who have had absolutely zero involvement with your projects, have offered you no advice apart from amateurish inanities, and have basically done nothing whatsoever to add any value to your undertakings, would just like to say how proud we are of your efforts :wub:

Oh I'll always be here. Lot's of people have made useful suggestions to me on this forum, I'm just too proud to admit it. :D

R,

R,

I got wild and just asked him, I've got no fear,

or maybe it's that I got no pride,

maybe it's the same thing, dunno anyway I asked him and he very helpfully told me that he thinks it was a custom design but that there are a number of them out there that can take mitchell heads and the weight of larger cameras.

He seemed friendly too so I guess there was nothing to be scared of really. :)

love

Freya