China balls

David Ross

OK: It's time to research into a china ball systems. Looking to purchase one our two. My question is should i invest into into a Chimera type system or a Jem lighting system Or simply get a few inexpensive socket holders and some inexpensive China balls from film tools. The paper looking one seem like thy are pretty cheap and would rip up fairly easy. I mainly shoot high end corporate and some regional TV spots,Indy features. However when i purchase equipment i Generally buy pretty high end stuff only because it tends to be a better overall value in the long run.

Any thoughts or ideals on what to buy. Perhaps there is another Manufacture that i am not aware of. Also what would be some standard sizes to consider.

Thank you

DR

• Premium Member

For myself;

I would get some high end sockets with good cord on them, then buy the calls as an expendable as needed. They get beat up pretty badly; but in truth I haven't found a good enough reason to invest in the higher-end systems.

There's these lantern-locks which I really like-- then just skinned with the cheap paper balls.

http://lanternlock.com/